Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 1986 TPI Engine - Power Cutoff Switch
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2012, 09:20 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

1986 TPI Engine - Power Cutoff Switch

Hello Folks,

I need some opinions regarding the ECM used with my 1986 Corvette TPI engine I have installed in my 1947 Plymouth.

I have a cutoff switch installed which completely disconnects all battery power to the car. I am a firm believer in installing and using cutoff switches on all my hobby cars. However, this my first hobby car to feature any sort of computer-controlled engine management.

Does removing the power to the ECM reset all of the engine settings? If so, how long after restoring power and re-starting the engine does it take for the ECM to 'relearn' the correct settings? Can regularly removing and restoring power to the ECM cause any harm? I've never noticed any obvious problems upon initial startup, other than an occasional slight stumble when still cold.

I am considering redoing my cutoff switch setup to include a small 3-amp bypass, which would allow current to flow to the ECM (and the stereo, and the clock) even when the cutoff switch is engaged.

Any thoughts or opinions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Ken in SSF
1947 Plymouth Special Deluxe Club Coupe