1987 chev pickup - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2009, 04:35 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

1987 chev pickup

I Have A 87 Pickup Tbi No Motor But I Am Installing A 355 4 Barrel Engine What I Want To Know Is Us My Eletric Fuel Pumps In The Tank I Know About The Psi Is 14 And I Need A Fuel Regular/gauge And What About The Compture It Has Two Plug Witch Od I Unplug For Everything Eles To Work And What About My Transmission 700-r4 Will It Still Work If The Compture Is Unplug

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2009, 06:00 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Well this should be an easy swap. Like you said you need a fuel pressure regulator so find an adjustable unit. As you state the TBI fuel pressure is not too far off from what the carb will need but find the specs and suggested fuel pressure for the carb you use and set the regulator at that spec. Another bit of good news for you is that the 700R4 is not a computer controlled trans, the trans just needs a TV cable and linkage at the carb. Lookup the specifics and kits online, this geometry MUST be correct or you will fry the trans in a few weeks. If you can not figure it out get a trans shop to do it for you.

The computer only tells the transmission when to lock-up the torque converter. I ran a 700R4 for a year without any lockup since something was not working in the computer. I gained 2 mpg with the lockup hooked up!!!!!! I bypassed the computer with a few simple wires so it now has a switch on the dash to turn the lockup on and off, as well as a vacuum switch to make sure the lockup turns off when accelerating, and finally a brake switch to turn off the system when the brakes are applied. When I first wired this up i simply hot wired it to make sure the lockup was working and then I began adding switches so it would only lock up when I wanted it to. be sure to run the brake shut off switch because if you do not then you hit the brakes hard the engine will stall and you could be in a HUGE accident due to no power steering and power breaks ect.

http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/sh...hp?tid/210150/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.