1987 Corvette - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2008, 01:17 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

1987 Corvette

A guy wants me to paint some panels on his red corvette. Front bumper, mirrors, rockers, roof panel that detaches, lower portion of drivers door ( has some damage on it.
Actually I was surprised at how nice the rest of the paint is on the other panels.

Most of the panels he wants repainted had been painted before and have faded a little and chipped. The front bumper has a lot of nicks and chips ( road rash ) etc. I dont usually panel paint, and will let him know it probably will not match. I am going to spray him a test panel and show him what the color will look like.He says it is a driver, heard that before.

Question : on the front bumper besides the nicks and chipped places it has a few places with lines in the paint ( like stress cracks ? ) maybe. I wonder is this only in the paint ? Wont know until I sand I guess ?

Paint store suggested I use flex in the primer surfacer ?
Also that car sits so low, a buddy of mine says that bumper is a bear to remove , he said my floor jack will probably not fit under the car.

Any suggestions appreciated, Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2008, 03:51 PM

Last photo:

1987 Corvette

a bear to jack up , get you some 2 by 8's or up to 12's
cut each one about 6 inches longer than the first making it at least 10 " long
and nail them together making a ramp to get it high enough for jack .
my consisted of just three boards , depends on wheel size and height you have to start with .
not to hard to remove front , allignment going bacck will pull your hair if you don't mark and keep shims in order of side they come from ,but that rear is a bear to remove .
them cracks are usally all the way through , so glass mat will be needed .
them kits you buy will have all you need for repair .
Old 12-05-2008, 06:45 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polish Painter
A guy wants me to paint some panels on his red corvette. Front bumper, mirrors, rockers, roof panel that detaches, lower portion of drivers door ( has some damage on it.
Actually I was surprised at how nice the rest of the paint is on the other panels.

Most of the panels he wants repainted had been painted before and have faded a little and chipped. The front bumper has a lot of nicks and chips ( road rash ) etc. I dont usually panel paint, and will let him know it probably will not match. I am going to spray him a test panel and show him what the color will look like.He says it is a driver, heard that before.

Question : on the front bumper besides the nicks and chipped places it has a few places with lines in the paint ( like stress cracks ? ) maybe. I wonder is this only in the paint ? Wont know until I sand I guess ?

Paint store suggested I use flex in the primer surfacer ?
Also that car sits so low, a buddy of mine says that bumper is a bear to remove , he said my floor jack will probably not fit under the car.

Any suggestions appreciated, Thanks

The cracks are in the paint, the bumpers if oem are urethane and don't crack.
Flex agent in the primer is good advice.
The car does sit low, if you use a jack make positive sure of where you locate it, the floor pan is fiberglass and will not support anything to speak of. Jacck at the designated jacking points.
When you have the front bumper off,, be sure to put new bulbs in the turn signal assy's. That is the only way to get to them, pull the bumper.

Keep us informed and show some pics of your progress!
Old 12-06-2008, 07:47 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

Flex agent is a way for the manufacturers to make additional money, as it is gone relatively soon. If the bumper is installed within a short period of time, there is no need for it. Any QUALITY PAINT should not need a FLEX ADDITIVE. If you ever saw the twisting and bending done to bumper covers being installed in shops, you would be surprised that they don't break. Usually the cracking is just the paint. The newer paints are so flexible that you can usually bend it to almost a 90 deg angle before breaking when it is peeled off. It may have been repainted, and not prepped properly. The bumper surface was flexed and broke the adhesion, causing the cracks.

You will want to get that thing up as high as you can get it, supporting it on the frame only, and remove the wheels.

Aaron
Old 12-06-2008, 10:55 AM

Last photo:

Thanks guys, Aaron I think I will leave the bumper on and figure out a way to raise the nose safely . A friend of mine has one of those $1500-2000 lifts that raises the whole car a few feet . May be made by Eagle one ?

He does a lot of vettes, if I did more vette work might could justify the expense. Although I am sure it comes in handy working on any car.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.