1987 Corvette L98 TPI - Going from 128 alum heads to Vortecs ???? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2008, 06:56 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

1987 Corvette L98 TPI - Going from 128 alum heads to Vortecs ????

I was talkin' with a guy last night,and he has a couple of Vortec heads for sale,kinda cheap,they swapped the a V8 engine for a Diesel in his truck.-
Im currently expecting 1.5 roller tip rockers for exhaust and 1.6 for intake,and hedman headers .....i have a .30 over 1987 L98,with a ZZ4 cam and LT4 Springs.-
Well,my 128 alum heads are not the best in the world
but i don't know if its worth the swap..i already have a friend interested in my 128's.

I will retain the stock TPI.-

What can happen ? Will i add lots of torque ? or i'd better stay with the 128's and enjoy my rockers/headers with them ?

ps :i didn't imagine that the head swap would be that close,but ..it depends on your advice!
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2008, 08:22 AM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: 1999-2001: Getting it on the road
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

The TPI manifold won't work on the Vortec heads. Not only is the bolt pattern totally different, the vortec ports are much taller and the TPI base won't line up with them.

Someone sells a TPI base for Vortec heads, but its expensive.

The TPI is a nice setup, but its tuned for low RPM. The Vortecs with the cam you've chosen will be capable of nearly 6000 RPM, but the TPI will start wimping out at 4000.

So, I would say your choices are to use a Vortec TPI manifold and upgrade the plenum and runners for higher RPM use, OR just put an edelbrock intake on it with a Qjet carb. What you should expect is 300+ hp and a boat load more torque at a slightly higher RPM. You should expect to shred tires with great ease.

Here is a photo that shows a couple things. First, notice that this aftermarket Vortec head is drilled for both early and vortec intake patterns. Secondly, notice that the cutaway of the early manifold doesn't cover the entire vortec port. That is basically how the ports of your TPI would line up on vortec heads.

Last edited by curtis73; 10-17-2008 at 08:40 AM.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:24 PM

Last photo:

This is teh intake that you would want.
http://www.sdparts.com/product/SD381...Baseplate.aspx

Its $400 and allows you to use Vortec heads on a TPI vehicle.

I actually installed 1 on a Vortec 350 with the GMPP Hotcam kit with 1.6 rockers in a 1985 TBI 305 IROCZ and went from a stock 15.8 @88down to around 13.8 @99mphin the 1/4 mile. That was with the stock 305 chip with 32 lb/hr injectors.. it was pretty rich at idle, and woudlnt idle with the AC on. i wish teh guy spent the money and got a chipped burned. It woudl of worked much better, esp on the streets.
I also used SLP's siamesed runners, shorty headers and a single 2 3/4" exhaust.
Have had the engine to 7200 rpm, wasnt making any power, but it pulled it nicely nonetheless.
We used a 4 bolt Vortec 350 from a 1 ton Vortec truck.

peace
Hog
Old 10-20-2008, 05:48 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

F I was going to switch to a vortec head I would get a GM Ram Jet (vortec) intake manifold to go with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ramjet22.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	33410  
The Following User Says Thank You to F-BIRD'88 For This Useful Post:
bygddy (07-25-2012)

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.