Hot Rod Forum banner

1987 Reliant trans problem.

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Chopper64 
#1 · (Edited)
another unreal coincidence? this magic kinda voodoo stuff kills me

where else but the electrical section? last summer it was the 70 cadillacs headlight switch magically going bad right when i get the alternator fixed.

saturday it was (apparently from the code it called out, #38) the torque converter lock out switch in my 87 reliant going bad at the exact same instant that i changed the valve cover gasket in my 2.5. is there some kind of connection btwn the two? is there some wiring i coulda pulled loose sliding the valve cover out without realizing it? anybody know or care squat about K cars?

#2 ·
voodoo histrionics

Ya just gotta quit biting down on your lower lip so hard when you are doing those things. Thats whats causing all your grimmies.
Seriously, you may well have dislocated a wire when you were working on the rocker cover. My suggestion is to get some real good light and see if you can find a loose wire hanging around, then see if you can find the other end of it and put them back together. Finding wires that disconnect from each other or break when you are doing work on something else is not an uncommon phenomenon. It even happens to the best of us. (which Im not).

#4 · (Edited)
i know and i did look in the day light. my friend and i spent over an hour looking for burnt, disconnected, squished and shorted, any kind of wires but nothing. his computer called out two codes: one for a bad logic module-gotta love that one; and one for the torque converter lock up switch..

not only that, his Mitchell manual shows the pins on the switch to be three pins in a triangle pattern and mine is three pins in a line. when i got the switch at napa it had only two pins! not just that, but it looks like the whole transmission would have to be disassembled to install napa's switch. we checked the p/n and it was the right one for a torque converter lock up solenoid

it is seeming like my transmission wants to start out in third gear. that's just what my friend says too. (he's a gm tech)

(actually i think machine shop tom built a model of this wreck and stuck a voodoo pin into it)

#5 ·
took it to the Chrysler dealer for diagnosis:

they said alot of stuff like bad harnesses up the ying-yang and maybe the timing belt slipped a tooth (the car runs now seemingly as good as ever tho)

also a broken vacuum line behind the throttle body i never saw and that must have been it, i guess they replaced the vac line cause like i said it's running again. yippie ki ay

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.