Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 1988 Chevy P.U. TBI
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2002, 02:31 PM
Suburbanite Member

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

What I always like to do with those is check the fuel pressure the dumb way. First, turn the key on - the fuel pump should run for 2 seconds and then quit until you engage the starter. You should be able to hear it hum.

There is what's called a Schrader valve on the fuel line up near the TB. There'll be a cap on it about 1/2" diameter and it looks like a tire valve underneath the cap. You're SUPPOSED to hook up a pressure gauge to that, but I find you can open the valve by gently pushing a nail or something into it. If fuel squirts (not trickles) outta there, your pump is fine. If you heard the pump running and still no pressure, check the fuel filter. Only after performing hours of troubleshooting should you then verify that there is fuel in the tank.

Seriously, though - if you check the fuel pressure the dumb way, be very careful.. I would recommend you actually buy a fuel pressure gauge with a Schrader valve attachment.