1988 Toyota accelerating on its own - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2010, 06:04 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

1988 Toyota accelerating on its own

HI,
I have a 1988 Toyota pickup , I was driving to work at 55mph when my truck started to speed up on it's own, I pushed in the clutch (it is a 5 speed) and the engine revved to 8 grand, on it's own, I put it back into 5 gear and put the brakes on but it would not slow down, I had to shut off the car, Then I started it up again and it was still full throttle, I pulled over and checked the linkage it was fine. I started again and it was ok for 2 min then started to speed up again I hit the gas and it went back to normal. I am think in throttle sensor, which I changed 1 year ago because the Idle wasn't staying at 800rpm it would jump to 2000rpm and I would tap the gas pedal and it would go back down to 800rpm. or maybe Toyota has a computer problem with there new Toyota's and the older ones going back to the 1980s
Does anyone know what is causing this ?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2010, 06:18 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchdude1
HI,
I have a 1988 Toyota pickup , I was driving to work at 55mph when my truck started to speed up on it's own, I pushed in the clutch (it is a 5 speed) and the engine revved to 8 grand, on it's own, I put it back into 5 gear and put the brakes on but it would not slow down, I had to shut off the car, Then I started it up again and it was still full throttle, I pulled over and checked the linkage it was fine. I started again and it was ok for 2 min then started to speed up again I hit the gas and it went back to normal. I am think in throttle sensor, which I changed 1 year ago because the Idle wasn't staying at 800rpm it would jump to 2000rpm and I would tap the gas pedal and it would go back down to 800rpm. or maybe Toyota has a computer problem with there new Toyota's and the older ones going back to the 1980s
Does anyone know what is causing this ?
The newer Toyotas have electronic throttles, where there is no direct connection between the gas pedal and the throttle body. Your 88 precedes that and your problem is unrelated. More likely the throttle cable is worn and binding. It happens.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:28 PM
Get out the ducktape...

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: Front brakes
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

I would try to get some graphite lube on the cable from where it comes out of the firewall to the bracket on the intake.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:33 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle_502
I would try to get some graphite lube on the cable from where it comes out of the firewall to the bracket on the intake.
You can try that, but don't expect much. These cables are typically a multi-strand stainless cable inside a teflon-lined sheath. The failure mode is that the teflon wears out at the bends, the added friction causes one or more of the wires in the cable to fray, and the resulting sharp ends stick inside the sheath. No amount of lube will fix this, only replacement.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:36 PM

Last photo:

i guess I should get a new cable!! it seems ok but it is 20 years old
Why would the truck accelerate faster then what I was going if the cable just needed to be lubed it dosn't look fared can't tell how it is inside the covering though.
I was going 55mph took my foot off the gas pedal and the truck accelerated to 80 mph before I turned the key off.

Last edited by watchdude1; 03-08-2010 at 07:07 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:50 PM

Last photo:

I had the same issue on a 79 chevy luv, I had narrowed it down to a malfunctioning idle control solenoid, turns out it was shorting out and pushing the plunger all the way out, which in turn was acting like it was floored. Good thing the truck was so gutless it slowly started speeding up. Not sure if yours has one, but it's worth a shot.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:17 PM

Last photo:

I have been following this cars speeding up with peoples foot of the gas problem and for the life me can't see a truck or car doing this with a cable throttle. If its not computer related in some way. I will be the first to admit I know little about computer controls in cars BUT I AN'T NEVER had a throttle pull its self.And a floor mat would not make the peddle go down. It mite cause it to hang IF you had floored it or at lest accreted to blend in or some such. but seems to me that it would not get any faster then what you had pushed it down. Just my ramblings on this.

OLDROD
PS. Just a thought do you have cruise control?
Old 03-08-2010, 11:20 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Is this the same truck with the mysterious brake pedal dropping to the floor syndrome and bucking issue?

Time to ditch that thing.

Seriously, is there a vacuum leak, dislodged throttle plate in the throttle body or stuck linkage? My guess is there is a vacuum leak between the throttle body and the engine or the idle air bypass solenoid is loose.

Since this truck has had an engine change there are a hundred things that could of been damaged in the swap including the intake system coming loose.

Time to spend some time under the hood and check all the basics before we blame Toyota for computer problems and unintended acceleration.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:59 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39 OLDROD
I have been following this cars speeding up with peoples foot of the gas problem and for the life me can't see a truck or car doing this with a cable throttle. If its not computer related in some way. I will be the first to admit I know little about computer controls in cars BUT I AN'T NEVER had a throttle pull its self.And a floor mat would not make the peddle go down. It mite cause it to hang IF you had floored it or at lest accreted to blend in or some such. but seems to me that it would not get any faster then what you had pushed it down. Just my ramblings on this.

OLDROD
PS. Just a thought do you have cruise control?
No cruise control, and I would not beleive it if it didn't happen to me, there is a throttle sensor, and the computer , that is all I can think of that could make the truck go faster, but not sure how they work, I thought a throttle sensor jus had to do with the idle?
Old 03-09-2010, 05:09 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Jaw Chuck
Is this the same truck with the mysterious brake pedal dropping to the floor syndrome and bucking issue?

Time to ditch that thing.

Seriously, is there a vacuum leak, dislodged throttle plate in the throttle body or stuck linkage? My guess is there is a vacuum leak between the throttle body and the engine or the idle air bypass solenoid is loose.

Since this truck has had an engine change there are a hundred things that could of been damaged in the swap including the intake system coming loose.

Time to spend some time under the hood and check all the basics before we blame Toyota for computer problems and unintended acceleration.
I drove it today and it ran good, I use it to plow my driveway, and i almost sold it last week,alot of people ask me if I want to sell it when I am just driving around. it still looks good. the brake problem was bad rear cylinders, the bucking was the spark plugs they were shot they only lasted about a year the tips were gone.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:37 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchdude1
No cruise control, and I would not beleive it if it didn't happen to me, there is a throttle sensor, and the computer , that is all I can think of that could make the truck go faster, but not sure how they work, I thought a throttle sensor jus had to do with the idle?
As I said don't know much about computer controls the reason for my question was I have heard of cruise controls acting up like that not to mention I am installing one(my first) and am hoping the advise I got from Dave and others keeps me from killing my self.

OLDROD
Old 03-10-2010, 04:58 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

If it is sucking air somewhere it can cause RPM run away.
Throttle position sensor should not cause this type of scenario.

Chet
Old 03-10-2010, 05:03 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

look at the brake booster. I had a '92 ford Ranger 4x4, that liked to 'blow up' the check valve on the booster, and when it did, it had a 2-3k idle and it would cruise at 40 MPH in 3rd w/o any gas pedal. one time, it only cracked so it was intermittantly getting the high idle
Old 03-10-2010, 05:27 PM

Last photo:

I am going to go over the engine this week end and see what I can find,
thanks for the info!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.