Hot Rod Forum banner

1988 Turbo Coupe Engine swap

10K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  macx 
#1 ·
My turbo coupe engine is spent, and i have a 302 from my mustang i want to throw into it, i wanted to find out how hard it would be to do it. I noticed in my owners manual that they did come with them. But what mods were made... if any????
It has a t-5 in it.
Another question is will this bellhousing work from a 4 cylinder to an eight cylinder??? Will the existing mounts work??? Im going carburetor.. so nothing about fuel injection, and harnesses, and computers please...

thanx!!
Any help would be greatly appreciated..

#3 ·
What 88 turbo coupe are we talking about here? Porsche? Is it a rear engine car? First off, if you are talking about a porsche turbo Carrera, 4 cyl not withstanding, your drivetrain is a transaxle, which puts engine, transmission, and rear end all in one unit. You wouldn't be able to just unbolt your engine and bolt a v8 in it's place. You're going to need a special kit to do that and they are very expensive. If you're talking about a 944 or 924 which ever one uses the front engine rear drive, then you're still going to need a chevy transmission, a different rear and a custom driveshaft. If you're not talking about any of the above then i guess i just wasted time typing, which could have been avoided if you had given more information.

#5 · (Edited)
I know people swap out the mustang 4 bangers all the time for v8s, the cars are somewhat lighter and it saves on insurance. I thought I had a link to a site about the swap saved but I guess I lost it, ill look for it and post it. I do agree with greg latvala though those are nice little motors and people are pumping some serious boost into them, I'd rebuild it and keep it.

Heres a link:
http://www.jason.fletcher.net/tech/v8/v8.htm

#6 ·
Okay that makes a BIG difference and a lot cheaper to do. Any competent shop can make the v8 mounts fit the engine compartment quite easily. You'll just have to use a different transmission or bell housing.If you have the bucks, it should be a learning experience, thats for sure but you can handle it.

#8 ·
V8 motor mounts from any 83 to 88 Fox body Ford will work. The 87/88 turbo coupes have the "world class" T5 trans but it wont bolt up unless you can change the bellhousing and/ or input shaft. You will also have to plug or cap the fuel return line. Most every thing else just bolts on. Too bad you dont live any closer to Ca. or I would take all your old 2.3 turbo parts for my junk collection. I love that stuff!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.