Hot Rod Forum banner

1989 caprice fuel injection help

4K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Siggy_Freud 
#1 ·
I've already talked to people about it and they said it either needs a major tune up or its the fuel pump relay switch because it takes a while to start.I changed the plugs wires cap and rotor and it does the same thing.I called autozone and asked for a fuel pump relay switch and he didnt know what i was talking about. Is there a different name or a different way to check if the fuel relay is bad??

#2 ·
Sounds like a bad relay.......it cranks over until the engine builds up enough oil pressure to bypass the relay switch, then the pump comes on.

To test it, get someone to get down by the tank. Turn the key just to the "on" position. You should hear the pump come on for a second to build up fuel pressure. If not, the relay is probably bad. Once, I had one that was just a broken wire to the relay.

The relay is under the hood, it is about 1 in sqaure by about 2 1/2 long. Plugs in at one end. Usually just above the windshield wiper motor area.

#3 ·
EazyDuzIt102 said:
I've already talked to people about it and they said it either needs a major tune up or its the fuel pump relay switch because it takes a while to start.I changed the plugs wires cap and rotor and it does the same thing.I called autozone and asked for a fuel pump relay switch and he didnt know what i was talking about. Is there a different name or a different way to check if the fuel relay is bad??
the relay is just a relay! did you check the fuel presure while cranking the engine? what was it? #

#6 ·
its a "fuel pump relay", thats all. try advance auto. or another auto parts store. the people that i've always ran into at autozone didnt know *****. i thought it was just our store. lol... but it sounds like the stupidity is spreading. theres another way to check to see if its the relay or the pump. there should be a fuel pump test wire somewhere under the hood, around the pump relay. disconnect the fuel feed line and hit the test wire with 12 volts. what this does is hotwires the pump directly to the battery and totally bypasses the relay. try that and if your not getting fuel through the line or is just trickles through then the pump is going bad. but if it shoots out fuel at a resonable pressure then change the relay. oh, and make sure you put a bucket or jar over the fuel line when you hit the pump or you'll have gas all over the inside.

and while your at it... did you change the fuel filter? that may be close to blocked and causing hard starting too. :thumbup:

#9 ·
Call Autozone and ask them to check on part number 19856. That should be what you need. Should cost about 13 bucks.

I have worked at Autozone for about 2 years now (currently during summers and breaks from school). It frustrates me to hear stories about how bad some of the employees are. I am fortunate to work with some very smart people. The worst thing is that these people who dont know much of anything about cars still get paid the same as those of us with a fair amount of knowledge (not to mention bi-lingual skills).

#10 ·
i wasnt directing that comment about autozone employees about all of them... its nice to know theres at least ONE person there that knows what they're talking about. i just wish there were more of them.

i remember one time i was looking for a MAP sensor for my car... i just took it off and took it in there and the guy was telling me my car didnt have anything like that on it. then he had the nerve to ask me if my stupid *** was sure i knew what kind of car i had. well, needless to say im not allowed back in that certain store anymore.....

but i wasnt saying you ALL were like that... so i hope you didnt take it personally

#11 ·
I didn't take it personally. I was meaning more that it frustrates me knowing that there are idiots like that that are allowed to work at an autoparts store. I understand perfectly the consumers frustration with this type of bad service.

No worries :).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.