Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 1989 chevy truck TBI 350 HEI Install
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 03:11 PM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittman View Post
But the deal is my gauges are screwed up and I trying to figure out what to do. My truck has the Half moon stock gauges. I was wondering if i could upgrade or maybe interchange with another chevy truck style gauges. Got to get rid of these gauges i just dont like them. Thanks for yalls help. Iam new to this fuel injection stuff always had older trucks without it.
If you're having gauge problems don't aurttomatically blame the cluster, check to make sure the ground wire is still on the thermostat housing stud, if that goes bad you lose most of your gauges. Next would be the sending units. 1990 and early 1991 Chevy and GMC trucks had needle type gauges and are a direct swap for the '88-'89 cluster and use the same sending units. Late '91 had a factory tach but requires 3 wires to be switched in the harness and you have to run a seperate tach wire, they are getting harder to find too. I put one in my '88 to replace the "moonies" but I went through 4 clusters before I found a good one! Then I had to replace the DRAC module that controls the speedo in the circuit board with DIP switches so I could calibrate the speedometer for different gears and tires and that was a royal PITA! Not so much putting the DIP switches in but finding the right combination. So make sure you get one from a truck with the same gear ratio and tire combo if at all possible. The factory speedo calibration kits for the '88-'93 trucks have been out of production for many years and if you do find one NOS it is EXPENSIVE. The oil pressure sender for your factory gauge is down by the oil filter, the one up top controls the fuel pump.

You can also swap in a '92-'94 cluster but it's a bit more work, you can find the details at Fullsize Chevy, ChevyTalk or The 1947-Present Chevy Truck Board.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hippie For This Useful Post:
Hittman (11-18-2012)