1989 toyota pick up using antifreeze, after having busted a hose - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2006, 04:46 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

1989 toyota pick up using antifreeze, after having busted a hose

Out 89 Toyota truck 22R, overheated one day and busted a hose. we replaced the hose and it ran fine for about 1 1/2 weeks at which time it got hot again and has since been using antifreeze after it it driven. WE replaced the radiator cap and put on a new thermostat. We replaced the spark plugs and adjusted the valves and put on a new valve cover gasket. It continues to use antifreeze when it is driven. It has not gotten hot again, some people say that we blew a head gasket, but there does not appear to be any antifreeze in the oil. I talked to a mechanic and he says that it does not sound like a blown head gasket. We are at a loss. Can you help?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2006, 05:11 PM

Connie, you lost a head gasket, gurfrickintee it! That is very common on 20R and 22R motors when they overheat. The antifreeze is going into the combustion chamber and getting burned.

It's a really straight forward job for any competent mechanic to replace.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:17 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

"Overheated one day and blew a hose". Everything you have done is treating the symptons, but not the cause. At best, you probably have a warped head. A blown head gasket that allows compression to leak into the coolant system and not the oil system will over pressurize the coolant system and the weakest link will fail. I suspect your hose was the weakest link. Continued driving will only manifest the problem and cost more bucks to fix, in my opinion(if the gasket fails to a cylinder, hydraulic lock can occur and that can get expensive fast). You can do some trouble shooting or just go ahead and pull the head and have it checked for warpage. If it is not warped, then you will only be out the cost of a new head gasket and some labor. If it is warped, it might be salvagable or you may have to get a new or reconditioned head. Over pressurization of the cooling system can blow out rad cores/tanks and water pump seals, and heater cores

Trees
Old 09-11-2006, 05:31 PM

Another possibility is the timing chain guide. I found this info on another web site. http://www.automotiveforums.com/t321..._rebuild_.html
-------------------------------------------------
First, you may want to look to make sure you're not going down the wrong road. Remove your valve cover and find the timing chain there in the front. With a small flashlight, look down the right side (drivers side) of the chain. If you see that there is no chain guide, or two grooves in the inside of the cover there... you're on the right track.

Wanna test it farther? fill the radiator and find a way to pressurize it then look down the inside of the timing chain cover if water is oozing or squirting there on the right side...bingo.

I found 2 places that tell this story very well, read them both if ya want, I like the first. The only thing they dont cover, is getting rid of the oil/anti-freeze mixture. Mine had 3 gallons of the goo. (I bought the truck non-running) I soaked it down several times with 3 gallons of deisel, the last gallon directly through the oil pan.

Toyota 22R Timing Chain Replacement (http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/timingchain/)

Timing Chain Replacement Instructions (http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...ingChain.shtml)

The after market timing chain cover is here (http://www.partsamerica.com/PartDeta...Number=500220). Pioneer Products PN 500220. I got mine from Schucks, Checker, I can't remember all the names this company uses.
Old 09-17-2006, 05:58 AM

busted radiator hose in 89 Toyota pick up

We are now in the process of tearing the turck down and preparing to fix the blown head gasket. Another interesting thing is that when we were driving it and we turned the heater on, you could hear the antifreeze going through the hoses, that day when we got home the reserve tank for the antifreeze was way down.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.