1990 454 with no compression in 4 cylinders? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2011, 06:24 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

1990 454 with no compression in 4 cylinders?

What I Have Is a 1990 Chevy C3500 Longbed Extended cab 2 wheel drive 1 ton pickup. The other day i had a really bad back fire it killed the engine , i puled over fired her back up and drove her home. The next day on my way to work it did it again but not as bad, except this time it didnt start at all , I had to be pulled home. once i got it home it still wouldnt start,No spark? so i replaced the ignition control module, It started and idled fine after that, after about 10 minutes the truck wasnt running for ****, rough idle and bad miss. so after this i checked compression in all cylinders, driver side had about 70 psi per cylinder and passenger side none whatsoever, checked to see if all pistons were stil moving when engine is cranked over and they are !. so today i pulled the valve cover and intake, nothing out of usual, Maybe i have a blown head gasket? theres no water in oil either.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2011, 06:33 PM
1.21 giga-watts???!!!!

Flattened cam lobes?
Old 01-26-2011, 06:38 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

There's a chance the timing set has given up the ghost. Either by jumping time a couple or more teeth- or it broke the chain completely

The first thing I would do is to crank the engine and watch the rockers. If they're still moving, you need to set the engine to TDC using the timing line on the balancer and the timing tab.

Then remove the distributor cap and see if the rotor is pointing at #1 or #6. Mark the position of #1 and #6 on the distributor BODY, using the cap as a guide.

With the timing marks at TDC, the rotor should be just after the marks you made. If the rotor is pointing elsewhere, suspect the timing set has jumped time.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:50 PM

Even If It did break the timing chain would it still run? cause before i tore it all down it was running just very poorly i even drove it like 5 or 6 miles before i tore it down, and from what i can see on the cam the lobes arent worn,
Old 01-26-2011, 07:59 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett.m12
Even If It did break the timing chain would it still run? cause before i tore it all down it was running just very poorly i even drove it like 5 or 6 miles before i tore it down, and from what i can see on the cam the lobes arent worn,
If the chain was broken it wouldn't run at all. It still may have jumped time. Follow the sequence I wrote above and you will know if that is, or is not, the problem.

If you have the engine apart far enough to see the timing chain and gears, rotate the engine CW as you face it from in front of the radiator to get the two alignment dots on the timing gears as close to each other as possible.

This will be: crank gear dot at 12 o'clock, cam gear dot at 6 o'clock.

If you find that the dots will not align perfectly, you will know the chain has skipped. Plus the chain will be loose, the cam gear may even show considerable damage. The crank gear usually survives this w/o showing anything.

Good luck.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.