Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Transmission - Rearend (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/transmission-rearend/)
-   -   1990 Camaro, with t56 conversion, Vibration problems (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/1990-camaro-t56-conversion-vibration-problems-213530.html)

3rdgenmess 01-29-2012 11:47 AM

1990 Camaro, with t56 conversion, Vibration problems

Alright, I have 350 sbc in a 90 camaro, did a t56 from the original 700r....I tightened everything up took it out, shifts fine...only thing is it feels like the transmission is slightly rocking back and forth...it always engages into gear but some times its harder then others. Its always jerking when I'm shifting at cruising speed...I'm very cautious with it cause I don't know what's causing is...I checked the trans mount its fine...I don't know where else to look????

Crosley 01-29-2012 12:41 PM

3rdgenmess: I edited the thread title since you will see better response with proper info on vehicle info and problem.

The search engine also functions better if you dont use ??? !!! HELP !!! or similar stuff in a thread title.

:thumbup:

Gringo 01-29-2012 12:48 PM

shake

Did you put a pilot bearing in end of crank when you switched it over?

3rdgenmess 01-29-2012 01:01 PM

Yea I have the pilot bearing in...If its the bearing id probably be hearing noises from the front more in the area where the engine and transmission join but I only hear noises from the rear end like when I hit the gas in the lower rpms...it sounds like the driveshaft is being lodged into the pumpkin

Gringo 01-29-2012 08:41 PM

Are you sure your driveshaft isn't too long with no free play?

3rdgenmess 01-30-2012 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gringo
Are you sure your driveshaft isn't too long with no free play?

The shaft is at the right length, the 3rd gen and 4th gen LT1 T56s are direct swaps everything is reusable except the torque arm mount and transmssion x-member. But then again I don't know maybe its nothing to be corncerned about I heard a 2011 challenger do the samething the other day so I guess its normal

AutoGear 01-30-2012 08:14 AM

Driveshaft could be dented/damaged, also check your mounts. See if you can see any wear marks from the gearbox 'chucking' back and forth..

Incidentally, are you sure your clutch is engaging and releasing properly, and that theres no problems with the fluid being contaminated? This may not explain the 'movement' but it can effect the shift quality.

stich626 01-30-2012 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3rdgenmess
Alright, I have 350 sbc in a 90 camaro, did a t56 from the original 700r....I tightened everything up took it out, shifts fine...only thing is it feels like the transmission is slightly rocking back and forth...it always engages into gear but some times its harder then others. Its always jerking when I'm shifting at cruising speed...I'm very cautious with it cause I don't know what's causing is...I checked the trans mount its fine...I don't know where else to look????

are your motor mount shot.. the shifter will move with the tranny as it torques over.. this is normal.. shot motor mounts can make this movement bigger.. so can a junk tranny mount.. reblead the master and slave.. it shouldn't be hard to shift..unless the hole you cut into the floor isn't big enough. and the shifter is up against the floor when the engine torques over.. start by rechecking all your bolts.. if the motor mounts are the originals, they are junk.. replace them.. same with the tranny mount..
where are you getting the info that the 3rd gen torque arm and 4th gen arm are the same and the tranny crossmemer mounting spot in the unitbody is the same.. I'd double check this before you twist your car.. 3rd gen is steel the 4th gen is alum..