1990 Camaro, with t56 conversion, Vibration problems - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2012, 11:47 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

1990 Camaro, with t56 conversion, Vibration problems

Alright, I have 350 sbc in a 90 camaro, did a t56 from the original 700r....I tightened everything up took it out, shifts fine...only thing is it feels like the transmission is slightly rocking back and forth...it always engages into gear but some times its harder then others. Its always jerking when I'm shifting at cruising speed...I'm very cautious with it cause I don't know what's causing is...I checked the trans mount its fine...I don't know where else to look????

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2012, 12:41 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

3rdgenmess: I edited the thread title since you will see better response with proper info on vehicle info and problem.

The search engine also functions better if you dont use ??? !!! HELP !!! or similar stuff in a thread title.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:48 PM

shake

Did you put a pilot bearing in end of crank when you switched it over?
Old 01-29-2012, 01:01 PM

Last photo:

Yea I have the pilot bearing in...If its the bearing id probably be hearing noises from the front more in the area where the engine and transmission join but I only hear noises from the rear end like when I hit the gas in the lower rpms...it sounds like the driveshaft is being lodged into the pumpkin
Old 01-29-2012, 08:41 PM

Are you sure your driveshaft isn't too long with no free play?
Old 01-30-2012, 06:54 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo
Are you sure your driveshaft isn't too long with no free play?
The shaft is at the right length, the 3rd gen and 4th gen LT1 T56s are direct swaps everything is reusable except the torque arm mount and transmssion x-member. But then again I don't know maybe its nothing to be corncerned about I heard a 2011 challenger do the samething the other day so I guess its normal
Old 01-30-2012, 08:14 AM

Last photo:

Driveshaft could be dented/damaged, also check your mounts. See if you can see any wear marks from the gearbox 'chucking' back and forth..

Incidentally, are you sure your clutch is engaging and releasing properly, and that theres no problems with the fluid being contaminated? This may not explain the 'movement' but it can effect the shift quality.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:59 AM
gearheadslife

Last journal entry: The TwoTonShu #10
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdgenmess
Alright, I have 350 sbc in a 90 camaro, did a t56 from the original 700r....I tightened everything up took it out, shifts fine...only thing is it feels like the transmission is slightly rocking back and forth...it always engages into gear but some times its harder then others. Its always jerking when I'm shifting at cruising speed...I'm very cautious with it cause I don't know what's causing is...I checked the trans mount its fine...I don't know where else to look????
are your motor mount shot.. the shifter will move with the tranny as it torques over.. this is normal.. shot motor mounts can make this movement bigger.. so can a junk tranny mount.. reblead the master and slave.. it shouldn't be hard to shift..unless the hole you cut into the floor isn't big enough. and the shifter is up against the floor when the engine torques over.. start by rechecking all your bolts.. if the motor mounts are the originals, they are junk.. replace them.. same with the tranny mount..
where are you getting the info that the 3rd gen torque arm and 4th gen arm are the same and the tranny crossmemer mounting spot in the unitbody is the same.. I'd double check this before you twist your car.. 3rd gen is steel the 4th gen is alum..

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.