Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodding Basics (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodding-basics/)
-   -   1990 chevy 350 ss (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/1990-chevy-350-ss-84379.html)

swags05 03-16-2006 02:51 PM

1990 chevy 350 ss

Can anyone tell me about the 1990 chevy 350 ss and about the motor in it.

Thanks

kohle1ce 03-16-2006 04:14 PM

I'm not positive, but the only SS version released for that year was a 454. The SPORT package had a 4.3 V6 in it. But the 90 350 is an decent engine the main problem with them is that the heads suck. The TBI injection is a good year round runner, but if you want more power you should convert it over to a carb. You can improve on that engine by doing basic upgrades such as a edelbrock intake, get rid of the air filter box, change the exhaust, tbi spacer, and a stage 1 or 2 performance chip. I have one and I enjoy it, I wish it was faster, but thats down the road. If you have any questions feel free to ask I will do my best to help.

tm454 03-17-2006 04:50 PM

I use this site for reference..

www.chevytalk.com

Tazz

curtis73 03-18-2006 02:08 AM

Yeah, aftermarket companies made SS350 stickers, but Chevy never made an SS 350. The TBI 350 for that year was rated at either 180 or 195 hp.

Chevy350SS. 02-02-2009 11:09 AM

1991 chevy 350 ss

Hello, i happen to own a 1991 Chevy 350 ss Truck. It has the 5.7 litter v8 with the Tbi. They are good motors not huge power houses but are relitivly good on gas. What I am currently working on is installing 1996 cast iron vortec heads, camming it out and throwing a carb 650 demon on it. This will really open it up. But over all the stock motor has a decent amount of power. Mine has 230 hp and about 260-275 Ftq. Anyways you can check it out on Youtube. Just type in Chevy 350 ss. Here is a link http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=gzgaje...e=channel_page
And here is another of it roasting some rubber.
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=wlxKAe...e=channel_page

ww454ss 02-02-2009 11:29 AM

I own a 1990 454ss. I know for a fact that gm never produced a 350ss. As previously stated above companies produced stickers that depicted a 350 as being an ss. I wouldn't be surprised if dealerships put those stickers on 350 ck 1500s that were black w/ red interior like the real 454ss to charge more to an unsuspecting customer. Just like they do now when they charge you $500 for a decal package you could order off the internet for $40. You could tell by the interior. Plus if it were an ss the motor, trans, and rear would have received some sort of upgrade. Non of this truck is ss except for the stickers.

curtis73 02-02-2009 12:45 PM

Guys... this thread is 3 years old :)

oldbogie 02-02-2009 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by curtis73
Guys... this thread is 3 years old :)

Not any more!

Bogie

Chevy350SS. 02-02-2009 07:59 PM

Hmmmm, well thats strange because the Gmc Made the Gt Modle and i would think that chevy would have made some sort of a package deal like a sport edition of a 350. It did come with bigger sway bars, the trans shifts better than my buddy's dads 91 chevy as it has a firmer shift, both trans have been rebuilt his and mine. And the rear end has the stage 3 posi kit. Aperently there is a Stage 1,2,3 and 4, not sure exactly what the differnce is between each is. Also the truck came stock with the front fog lights and black/red trim arround. It also had the full dual exhaust setup like the 454 ss the dual pipes into a dual in dual out muffler but i put it into a sigle 3 inch then branched it. You could be right but i have talked to a guy at a paint shop who also claims he owns a 350 ss and i have went to see it. Exactly like mine except black. I have never seen anytruck that looks like mine with fog lights grill, and beafy suspention set up from 1989 to 1993. The orignal owner who bought if new of the lot says he got the sport package upgrade when he bought the truck. It has a huge trans cooler on the front of the truck instead of it being run through the rad, dont know if that is been and add on or not. So it may not be the 454 ss but im sure it has had some upgrades mabey it was just stickers but i dont think so. Not trying to say your wrong or your not right but since i have seen the truck every nut and bolt, and own it to his claims apear to add up. As i said i have only seen two truck that look like this arround here. But even if there was no such thing, there is one now, because we made one, and by looking at it a very convincing one. But i do believe there is a 350 sport edition. Again Not saying your wrong but " I think there is a sport edition."

curtis73 02-02-2009 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevy350SS.
So it may not be the 454 ss but im sure it has had some upgrades mabey it was just stickers but i dont think so.

Sorry... just a sticker package. GM also did a Cavalier Z22, which is not a package, its just a sticker.

In fact, its not even a GM factory option. It was a dealer installed sticker on a plain old normal truck. It didn't have an RPO, no package, no options, no nothin'. I know because I worked at a GM dealer that "made" them. Its a sticker.

1ownerT 02-03-2009 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by curtis73
Sorry... just a sticker package. GM also did a Cavalier Z22, which is not a package, its just a sticker.

In fact, its not even a GM factory option. It was a dealer installed sticker on a plain old normal truck. It didn't have an RPO, no package, no options, no nothin'. I know because I worked at a GM dealer that "made" them. Its a sticker.

The Cavalier was a Z24, I know they were a little more than a "sticker" I do not believe there was any engine performance improvement but they had a body kit, different tires and wheels, and some years had a fiberglass hood with air inlets that were functional. I would believe that there was some suspension improvements to go along with the option.
I had a good friend with one and just two weeks ago I was at the pick-a-part yard, and one was sitting there.

curtis73 02-03-2009 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1ownerT
The Cavalier was a Z24, I know they were a little more than a "sticker" I do not believe there was any engine performance improvement but they had a body kit, different tires and wheels, and some years had a fiberglass hood with air inlets that were functional. I would believe that there was some suspension improvements to go along with the option.
I had a good friend with one and just two weeks ago I was at the pick-a-part yard, and one was sitting there.

I'm not talking about the Z24. Z24 was a very common factory-option, but that's not what I'm talking about. The Z24 was a V6, got the FE4 suspension, and some graphics (and "Z24" embroidered in the seats) but the Z22 was a bone stock, plain-jane, NorthEast regional sticker package on a 4-banger cavvy.

Z22 is a GM option code... but not for a cavalier. Its an option code for Buick Roadmasters to be minimally prepped for custom aftermarket coach work; ambulances, hearses, flower cars, limos, etc.

But the Z22 cavalier is just a sticker package. If you wanted to the dealer could also put a spoiler on it with double-sided tape. Like this:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._Z22_Coupe.jpg

Chevy350SS. 02-13-2009 08:11 PM

If it wasnt an SS it doesnt matter because it is hella one now. 1996 block, vortec heads, comp cam, edlebrock intake, demon 650 carb. More Hp's than the 454 put out stock, but of course not torque lol. Anyways I really dont care if it is official or not but it is an SS. Yeah man! One of the nicest 91's arround here btw.

ChevySport 04-25-2009 05:34 PM

1991 Chevy Sport 350

Hi, I have a 91 Chevy Sport. Looks like a 454 SS, but has a bench seat and the decal on the back of the box, is the chevy bowtie in red, followed by the word SPORT. I was wondering if anybody has seen or heard of any of these trucks?

ChevySport 04-25-2009 05:40 PM

Hi, There is a 350 Sport Edition, they look the same as yours except, in black and on the box it has the chevy bowtie then the word Sport. Their sharp looking trucks.