Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Transmission - Rearend (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/transmission-rearend/)
-   -   1990 Chevy k1500 problem (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/1990-chevy-k1500-problem-221721.html)

dusjudd 07-15-2012 01:16 PM

1990 Chevy k1500 problem

Hello,

I have a 1990 Chevy k1500 that i just replace the engine in it with a high performance 350 engine. The engine will start and idle but it wont rev up when you step on the pedal and when I tried to shift it out of park to reverse nothing happen. It will shift into drive though so I'm not really sure what is going on. Can anyone help me?

Thank you

Crosley 07-15-2012 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dusjudd (Post 1573975)
Hello,

I have a 1990 Chevy k1500 that i just replace the engine in it with a high performance 350 engine. The engine will start and idle but it wont rev up when you step on the pedal and when I tried to shift it out of park to reverse nothing happen. It will shift into drive though so I'm not really sure what is going on. Can anyone help me?

Thank you

You indicate the engine will not rev up

Does the vehicle act like the trans is in gear when you have the shifter in park? Or is there an engine problem?

Is the shifter a stock GM unit? Any trans work done during engine swap?

What transmission is used?

:pimp:

dusjudd 07-15-2012 03:24 PM

Yea it will not rev. I had someone push on the pedal and the throttle body will open but it doesn't rev. It doesn't act like it is in gear when its in park. It is the factory shifter and trans. We didn't do anything to the trans when we replaced the engine. The engine seems to be working just fine.

Crosley 07-15-2012 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dusjudd (Post 1574011)
Yea it will not rev. I had someone push on the pedal and the throttle body will open but it doesn't rev. It doesn't act like it is in gear when its in park. It is the factory shifter and trans. We didn't do anything to the trans when we replaced the engine. The engine seems to be working just fine.

Sounds like an engine problem if it will not rev up when in park and you say the vehicle does not act like it is in gear

dusjudd 07-16-2012 11:48 PM

well we got the engine to rev up and going into gear. The new problem it that it is running really hot. The timing is set at TDC. Is this the right timing for a 350?

Crosley 07-17-2012 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dusjudd (Post 1574480)
well we got the engine to rev up and going into gear. The new problem it that it is running really hot. The timing is set at TDC. Is this the right timing for a 350?

You need to ask engine questions in the engine forum for responses