Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 1990 F-600 429 Lima engine
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2012, 08:49 AM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATECH View Post
I have seen the TACH give those exact problems. Its in the dash, as I presume it is the factory one.
Pull the instrument cluster and go drive it, if it clears up, then unhook the tach on the cluster panel.
If the issue is still there It could be a pickup coil in the dizzy, but I would lean towards the ECM. IIRC it has an EEC III type ignition, minimum function computer, and a module with a brown grommet. Somewhere in there is a governor,not sure if it is built in to the ECM or if it is another box under the dash.
I would start with the tach, as I have definitley seen those cause issues just as you describe.
Have a look inside the distributor, if there is no pickup coil, then it has the Duraspark III ignition system.Those have a crankshaft sensor in the back of the engine, not a pickup coil.
I'll have my dad look at the tach and see what happens. I haven't looked inside the distributor but my dad is saying there is a magnetic pickup under the rotor. As far as the governor goes, it's on the side of the carburetor.