1990 k1500 4x4 with shaved door handles-I hate them. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2009, 05:08 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

1990 k1500 4x4 with shaved door handles-I hate them.

ok I got a good deal on this beast but dammit why did they shave the door handles...anyway..yes everyones most common logical respose it to buy new doors...well I dont have the cash to do it.. seems like door handles would be a fraction of the cost of doors. Can I tackle this project with a grinder, door handles w/keys, bondo and some paint?

Seems like all the shaved door handles are is a solenoid attached to a wire that pulls a cable that pulls another thicker stiffer wire that pulls the latch...dont I just need to do some handy work to get the door handle snug and attach it to the wire? If it was that easy the locking mechinism would be my biggest hurtle. What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2009, 07:38 AM
Last photo:

They more than likely welded a patch over the existing door handle after it was removed. That patch will have to be removed and hope that the original mounting is intact enough to reinstall an original door handle. It is a lot of work with a questionable outcome IMHO. It is going to require some body and paint work either way you go. If it were mine I would be looking for some stock replacement doors.

Vince
Old 11-21-2009, 11:20 AM
go fast, turn left!

Last photo:

I think you have thre options.

- Replace the whole door, (Easy but then you need to paint)

- Cut the whole handle and surronding area out og a good door and graft it in. The amount of work you would have to do to repair the area that is modified would be more. But if you are going to do all this you will need to paint and then you might as well go with option one. These doors are dime a dozen.

- Live with it.

I would take option three, But option one is the easiest and probably cheapest way to return to stock and have a good loooking door.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:33 PM

Last journal entry: Grille
Last photo:

I dont see what's wrong with it the way it is now. i wouldn't mess with it, do poppers work good?
Old 11-21-2009, 01:03 PM

Last photo:

The doors should fit from 1988 - 1999. With cash for clunkers just ending the wrecking yards are full of trucks that have doors that will fit your truck. With the supply of doors available prices should be the lowest they have ever been. If the truck was painted a stock color you may even be able to find some in your color. If custom painted I would leave it alone and make sure you have a way to open it if the battery goes dead.

Kurt

Last edited by RODDER18; 11-21-2009 at 03:44 PM.
Old 11-22-2009, 01:42 AM

the original poppers took a dump on my and took the whole alarms system with them. I installed a remote start system and new solenoids..should did the doors at that time..now the passenger popper went out...girls are always like "how do I open your door" then I got to get in lean across the truck and open there door. Not to mention when I leave it running with the windows up and the keys in. I dont think Shaved door handles are a good look for a lifted 4x4. But yea..i should look for some doors...anyone wanna buy these?
Old 11-22-2009, 02:56 AM
Robbins Racing

Last photo:

I think you guys are giving people too much credit for these shaved door handles. My guess is there's a 50/50 chance they just used some kitty hair to paste over them without doing metal work. Get a good look from the inside with the interior door panel off. If you see the original holes, poke them with a screw driver, see if you get some sort of fiberglass/filler residue. Luckily if that's the case, they prob. didn't do crap for prep and a swift hit or two on the screw driver will knock the filling chunk out. I recently did this on a hood where the emblem was filled. Even so, you'd have to find replacement handles and locks, along with repainting the doors....
Old 11-22-2009, 04:07 AM

yea they did weld some metal plates in there..the exterior prep work was crap..its actually starting to crack thats another reason im wanting to do this.. Well I went to autozone..found some handles..no locks or keys..$30 each...Im definatly not going that route. Im thinking more like HIGGINS auto wrecking..not sure if they are nation wide but they are really good ive got several things from them. Im sure they have some door handles with locks and keys but im not looking at paying more than $40 for both otherwise..im thinking doors will run me $200?
Old 11-22-2009, 01:29 PM

Last journal entry: Grille
Last photo:

find someone who's parting out their truck on craigslist or something. I don't see those doors being rare.
Old 11-22-2009, 03:22 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

junkyard I go to has 30 or better of those trucks at any given time and they sell doors for $40 each or $29 on sale.. a new replacement door might run $200 tho
Old 04-06-2010, 04:23 PM

i bought both doors, power locks and window for $100. Is there a harness I can buy to make this door swap easier..being that I had manuel doors to begin with. I really dont feel like making a harness.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.