1991 olds 88 4L60 shudder?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2006, 11:50 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

1991 olds 88 4L60 shudder??

Hello people...........I am still wondering where to go with this, I have read that engine misses at low rpms can cause shudders, and I have also read that torque converters can give a shudder under lockup.........vibrations occur at 35 to 42 and at 55 to 65..........each time the rpm is under 2 grand.......I did the unplug the converter thing and vibs went away.........but if I have an engine miss, then I am masking the problems as noted by a post on here directing people to a transmission site that says if you have an engine missfire....it is very possabe to swear that you have torque shudder......fix the misfire and shudder goes away.........was noted that coil packs degrade causing 2 cylinders to missfire......well.....since I havnt found somone that will help me locally yet, I am still in the dark as to what to pinpoint........sometimes I think converter and then I read the missfire statement and still have no clue........I cannot duplicate the problem in the driveway.......I did take it to a shop but he didnt do anything like put it on a scope, just revved the motor in drive and park, then said nothings wrong

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2006, 09:48 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

A 1991 Olds will not have a 4L60 tranny.

I do believe it is a front wheel drive car.

your description indicates a converter clutch slip / shutter.

No trouble codes? No SEL in the dash?

A service and fresh filter may help. A product called Lube Gard in red bottle will help if the damage is not major to the converter clutch lining.

Could even be a leaking TCC solenoid not allowing full pressure for lockup application.

how many miles on tranny?

Original tranny to the car??
Old 09-11-2006, 10:47 AM

Last photo:

117,000 on it, changed filter once, not much crap in pan, oil was not red, but not burnt in smell...........changed oil by sucking it out of dipstick tube in pan 4 times,,,,not sure about original tranny since it has a sticker on it that says service replacement transmission assembly, with the general motors symbol.........and yes its fwd..........and i called a tranny shop and they said it is a 440 tranny..........it has overdrive and of course lockup

Last edited by fumplet; 09-11-2006 at 10:52 AM.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:34 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

fumplet,

How many different threads do you have going on for this problem?

In the other thread I thought we had it narrowed down to the torque converter or trans.

If it is the torque converter or trans that's why you cannot duplicate the problem in the driveway. Torque converter shudder can sometimes be cured with a trans flush, and then using an additive to the fluid.

Is this a nice enough car to warrant a trans and or torque converter replacement? If not drive it till it dies .

Steve
Old 09-11-2006, 01:03 PM

Last photo:

Yes I do have several threads.......true.and I thought we did too have it n arrowed down........well I took it to several more people and the trans people said....nope, not a torque converter/lockup issue,.........and the mechanics said nope, not a miss............last mechanic said possable worn struts, tires out of balance............I know the rear drums are suspect to balance issues as well as I think they might be out of round(brakes applied).......rear struts are almost gone(bounce on car, dribble it like a basket ball)...........now I have a lot of people pointing me in the right direction............on this site has helped emmensly........2 trans guys said trans is good.......so since I know I will be replacing the struts, and rebalance tires.....I will wait for that..............the last trans guy suggested that lockup problems are.........going in and out of lockup repeatedly and it feels like going over rumble strips.............my issues dont feel like that..I have also learned that 4L60 is rear wheel drive.......440T4 or 4T60 is frontj..........the last mechanic shut off the engine while driving.....vibration still there, he said engine continues to pull..........so if after I get the struts installed(done myself).....it will at least have a better ride, and might solve the prob.....if not.....then back to finding more people to test drive it....will let ya know when struts replaced.........that will cost over 200 bucks......or over 500 bucks done by someone else......your extensive help is so greatly appreciated

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.