1991 olds 88 royale idle miss - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2010, 10:28 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

1991 olds 88 royale idle miss

Hello I have the 1991 royale and just put a timing chain, cam gear magnet, water pump, ect on the car to get rid of the code 41 it had. Well, no light now but the car runs with a sporadic miss at idle when warm. I was wondering if theres scan software that I can put on my laptop to help diagnose this. Winaldl doesnt work on this car. and tuning pro is not for me since I dont know how to program bin files that it needs. I really dont want to take the car to a shop just so they can charge me bull**** fees and say they found nothing. been there done that. Really hoping somebody here knows of software that will allow me to see whats going on in the engine real time. Cars got 140,ooo on it now. 3800 engine. Sprayed plug wires with no noticable results. Oh yeah, already tried to sign up on oldsmobile forum...its deader than roadkill. Nobodys posted over in the eighty eight section for over 30 days...so it told me.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2010, 09:40 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

Did you change the plugs?
A friend of mine has the same problem and found a leaky tube going to the EGR valve. He had changed the plugs and it ran great for two weeks and then started running like crap again. After finding the leak to the EGR valve and fixing it, he checked the plugs again and they were ugly! All fouled up with huge amounts of deposits on them. He changed the plugs again and so far it's running good.
I have a 3.1 (3.8's little brother) in my GP and it has had a little shake in it at idle in N since the day I bought it new. In gear, stoped, it runs smooth and can't tell it's even running. I've got 103K on it now and it still get's 30+ MPG on the hwy.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:29 AM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumplet
I really dont want to take the car to a shop just so they can charge me bull**** fees and say they found nothing. been there done that.
Most "FLAPS" (Friendly Local Auto Parts Store) will run a scan for you free of charge.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:49 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumplet
Hello I have the 1991 royale and just put a timing chain, cam gear magnet, water pump, ect on the car to get rid of the code 41 it had. Well, no light now but the car runs with a sporadic miss at idle when warm. I was wondering if theres scan software that I can put on my laptop to help diagnose this. Winaldl doesnt work on this car. and tuning pro is not for me since I dont know how to program bin files that it needs. I really dont want to take the car to a shop just so they can charge me bull**** fees and say they found nothing. been there done that. Really hoping somebody here knows of software that will allow me to see whats going on in the engine real time. Cars got 140,ooo on it now. 3800 engine. Sprayed plug wires with no noticable results. Oh yeah, already tried to sign up on oldsmobile forum...its deader than roadkill. Nobodys posted over in the eighty eight section for over 30 days...so it told me.
Did it do it before you did the work. If not I would bet the chain is off one tooth. This can really confuse the ECM as the cam and crank signals will never be synched up. As someone else mentioned the EGR could be hanging.
Good diagnostic equipment cost a lot of money and the skills to use it are also very valuable. Just fining a scanner software that will work with your car does not guaranty you will even recognize the problem. An experienced tech will know what the signals should look like and most likely has seen your issue before.

Chet
Old 02-05-2010, 12:35 AM

Last photo:

yes it had an occasional miss before but now its slightly worse. As for getting the timing chain off a tooth. Nope. Eyeballed that sucker many times before putting cover back on. It doesnt miss when cold. Gotta run it and get it warm. It does have a small exhaust leak but its not loud at all. Donut gasket or pipe somewhere. Maybe the leak is making the O2 indicate a lean condition? As far as the chain goes, I just lined up the dots as close as possable. If it was off a tooth, Id know. Thats pretty obvious when it is.....I hope

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.