Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 1991 olds eighty eight royale eats right front brake pads
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 08:44 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumplet View Post
i originally replaced the calliper because I broke off the bleeder after replacing the master cylinder. Instaled new caliper and didnt check to see if it was releasing ok. Wife drove it to store and back. It got so hot it melted the hubcap off. Replaced with 2nd caliper. Seemed to work ok. Replaced hose with 2nd caliper. 6 months later it ate the pads on that side. If the caliper was good, then why did the pad wear unevenly. The piston was cocked off to one side. Then again, your not supposed to wear the caliper down to the pad rivets either. Once the c clamp squared the piston in its bore, it went in easy.
Did this start to happen right after you replaced the master cylinder? Do both sides of the pad wear out evenly? Is the caliper itself moving freely on it's mount? A caliper needs to be able to stay centered over the rotor as your pads wear to give even breaking...It's difficult to tell without looking at it but the path of caliper movement should be lubricated whenever servicing brakes...I can't say for sure but if it's the second caliper...look at where it's mounted and make sure it can move freely and stay centered over the rotor.