Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 1991 olds eighty eight royale eats right front brake pads
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 05:14 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Three months ago, the squeaker on the outboard pad of my RH floating front brake caliper began squeaking prematurely. I examined the pads and discovered uneven brake pad wear on the outboard pad of the RH caliper on my '91 S10 Blazer 4x4. I replaced the AC Delco ceramic pads with Bendix ceramic pads, replaced all the slider pins, and replaced all the o-rings in each of the calipers. The o-rings align the slider pins that the outboard caliper slides on as it compresses into the brake rotor. I also lubed the caliper contact points and o-rings with Permatex #20353 brake lube. I checked the pads yesterday, and I saw no sign of uneven brake pad wear after about 1,000 miles of stop and go driving.

If the o-rings in the calipers are dry, the outboard caliper and pad will not slide evenly and apply equal brake pressure to the rotor. The pad may wear on a taper and permit the squeaker to contact the rotor prematurely. Your rebuilt calipers should have new o-rings but they need to be lubed before the calipers are installed with the proper high temperature silicone lubricant.

Last edited by MouseFink; 11-19-2012 at 05:21 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to MouseFink For This Useful Post:
LATECH (11-19-2012)