1992-1994ish automatic 'chatter' - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2009, 04:43 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

1992-1994ish automatic 'chatter'

My girlfriend's brother has a 1992-94 Cavalier 3sp auto, he's not sure what year it is, but it's the same bodystyle and I think they used the same trannys and stuff through those years (see pic for similar car).

looks just like this, only rustier and with four doors.

In any drive gear (including reverse) the transmission/torque converter 'chatters' and it shakes basically the whole car. It smooths out really well in neutral and park.

It's also 'chattery' when the car is first started in park. It smooths out after a few seconds.

Tranny fluid has never been changed, and at 145k miles on it, I think a tranny pan drop, new filter, and a little fluid would help reduce this chattering.

His dad (my gf's dad) says that automatics are made to be 'sealed' and it's fine and shakes since it's a cheap car. (fyi he's also a Honda guy...)

So, any input would be appreciated.
-Matt, and his gf's brother Kevin

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2009, 07:30 PM
boatbob2

Wiki Edits: 0

SHAKE,,,,RATTLE and ROLL.........

HI,your girlfriends dad is missing a little common sense. transmissions with that many miles on them,need a filter change,new gasket,and some new oil...believe it (or dont) when you drop the trans pan,you are going to find a bunch of crud in it...guess where the crud comes from !!!inside the transmission.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:11 AM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatbob2
HI,your girlfriends dad is missing a little common sense. transmissions with that many miles on them,need a filter change,new gasket,and some new oil...believe it (or dont) when you drop the trans pan,you are going to find a bunch of crud in it...guess where the crud comes from !!!inside the transmission.
I kind of figured this, but thought I'd get some confirmation on the subject. Maybe there's someone else out there.

If anyone else has an opinion or sarcastic comment to post, feel free to do so after the beep. *beep*
Old 03-14-2009, 11:01 AM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

common sense or not.change the filter and the fluid and try some good additive from your local parts store. and it might help it and it might not but if he dont want to spend the money at a trans shop you have nothing to lose .and it might stop the chattering for now and add alittle more life to his trans. cole
Old 03-14-2009, 02:22 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Tranny

The problem is pump pressure as they get worn out. If the bands etc get too much free play then the pump has trouble keeping the pressure high enough to engage the banded gears all the way. Most of these series trans are similar and share the same problem when they get older, say 100k plus. Changing the filter and adding new fluid may help, but from my years of selling and fixing used chevy front drives I think it won't change much. The parts are worn and fluid can't fill up the spaces; its just seems like common sense would tell one that.

Question: Does it stay hung up in lock up when you come to a stop? The way to tell is that when you come to a stop the engine feels like it is stuttering and then dies. They all have this problem it seems. There is only one fix!
Old 03-14-2009, 07:32 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Don
The problem is pump pressure as they get worn out. If the bands etc get too much free play then the pump has trouble keeping the pressure high enough to engage the banded gears all the way. Most of these series trans are similar and share the same problem when they get older, say 100k plus. Changing the filter and adding new fluid may help, but from my years of selling and fixing used chevy front drives I think it won't change much. The parts are worn and fluid can't fill up the spaces; its just seems like common sense would tell one that.

Question: Does it stay hung up in lock up when you come to a stop? The way to tell is that when you come to a stop the engine feels like it is stuttering and then dies. They all have this problem it seems. There is only one fix!
Engine keeps running... just shudders when in a drive gear. Otherwise it runs smoothly. Would some thicker fluid help (such as that lucas trans fix stuff) as a 'band aid' to get a little more life out of it?

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.