1992 350 will not start after distributor R & R - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2013, 05:23 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

1992 350 will not start after distributor R & R

I have a 92 350.I checked the gear on the bottom o ppf the distribtor,now it wont start.is there pictures I can get for my timing as far as my rotor and crank marks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2013, 06:39 AM

Last photo:

get the 1 cyl to TDC then pull the dizzy up and reinstall it with the rotor pointed at the 1 cyl.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:01 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

The next time you pull a distributor, first pull the cap off and record where the rotor is pointing so you can re-stab the distributor properly.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:34 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorboy1983 View Post
I have a 92 350.I checked the gear on the bottom o ppf the distribtor,now it wont start.is there pictures I can get for my timing as far as my rotor and crank marks
Problem is with the Chevy is that as the distributor is removed the spiral of the gear engagement pulls the oil pump drive such that when you reinstall the distributor if it easily engages the oil pump the gear is most likely a tooth off (about 30 degrees of rotation). Assuming you pulled it with the rotor aimed at number 1, you can either retard the setting by 30 degrees by rotating the housing if it doesn't get hung up on all the stuff around it, or you can reach in with a long screw driver to align the oil pump drive shaft so you can get the distributor in correctly. Be subtle doing this as the intermediate shaft which is the top you're seeing is aligned to the pump shaft with a plastic sleeve. These deteriorate with age and it is possible that just jamming around in there will dislodge these shafts then you have really big problems.

If you didn't align to number 1 or 6 when you pulled the distributor and now don't know where those locations are you've got to finding number 1 firing position, simply aligning the timing marks only gives a 50/50 chance of hitting it because the timing marks are good for number 1 and 6 at TDC, but just one of them would be ready to fire.

Remove the driverís side rocker cover a PIA to be sure with all the plumbing that goes over and around the thing. Pull the engine around with a socket wrench on the crank damper's bolt tuning it clockwise (it's normal direction of rotation) watching the valves sequence on number 1 when both the intake and exhaust are closed and the damper mark is approaching the timing tab then it's moving to TDC firing number 1 cylinder. Another way is to remove the spark plug on number 1 and place you finger over the plug hole, then bump the engine around with the starter. When it blows compression past your finger you know it's coming up on firing then walk it in with a wrench till the timing marks align.

Now you're going to have to estimate the distributor shaft position to fire number 1 to get a rough idea of where the oil pump drive pin is located relative to the engine. Then shinning a light down the distributor hole see where the slot of oil pump intermediate shaft is aligned and using a suitably sized screw driver gently turn it to where the distributor shaft will catch it and align it with the number 1 firing position of the rotor to cap.

Yes this whole job is a PIA.

Bogie
Old 10-14-2013, 04:14 PM

welcome PB
heres some readin and more links, maybe some pics..
http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w..._a_distributor

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.