1992 Camaro RS 700R4 Problem - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2009, 02:51 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

1992 Camaro RS 700R4 Problem

My friend has a 1992 Chevy Camaro RS with a TBI 305 and a 700R4 I might buy from him. It shifts from first to second fine and then instead of going to 3rd it open revs like its in neutral and if you let it rev towards redline it shifts into 3rd. Anyone know what could be wrong with it. Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2009, 05:14 PM
done learning, done living

Last photo:

i would start by replacing the throttle valve cable/kickdown cable. The cable goes from the throttle body down to the transmission. It opens the throttle valve in the transmission to increase pressure in the transmission and makes it shift. If you buy a haynes manual on the vehicle it will tell you how to adjust the cable.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:04 PM

Thanks for your help. I was thinking of replacing throttle valve cable and if that doesn't help then maybe its the throttle valve itself that could be stuck open. I also have another 700r4 core from a 83 camaro that I wanted to get the video and rebuild kit for to rebuild myself can anyone tell me if this looks like a good rebuild kit. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/87-93...Q5fAccessories Im gonna be keeping the stock 305 for now but I wan't to build something that can take alot of abuse and chirp the tires when I wan't to without messing anything up.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:51 PM

Last photo:

I prefer to not buy this kind of stuff off ebay, I have learned my lesson with engine parts and wouldn't attempt it with transmission parts. You don't know what your getting and probably have never even heard of the manufacturer. I like to buy all of my stuff through www.summitracing.com I have never had an issue with anything that I have bought there and they are good priced also.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:09 PM

Last photo:

This actually looks like a very well put together kit. As with any kit you may need other parts like bushings, bearings, thrust washers, HP Shift Kit etc..

Few other parts sites>>
http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/4L60-700R4.html

http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/...arts_s/641.htm

http://www.transpartsonline.com/
Old 11-04-2009, 05:22 PM

Last photo:

another thing to take into consideration is, do you have the tools to rebuild a transmission or are you able to borrow them from somewhere. Unless you are going to rebuild more than one transmission by the time you buy the kit and the tools and take the chance on if your trans works the way you want it to or if at all you might be better of having it done by a shop. If a shop does it you will also get a warranty with it and if you do it your on your own, probably even if the parts fail because the manufacturer will argue that they weren't installed by a professional or some crap like that. Just my two cents.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.