1992 Crown Vic - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2005, 07:44 PM

Last journal entry: Future Plans
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

1992 Crown Vic

Well im looking for a car for this winter instead of my truck and i have found one and i need some input as to what you guys think

"1992 Crown Vic, 4.6L, 4 wheel disc brakes, new front tires, cop blue and its a former corrections transport car but it has 259k on it. buddy wants 1500 but he is not solid on that and from the grapevine it was described as a really nice nice car

Now i want to know what everybody thinks of these cars ie. how hard are they to work on? price for parts? power? burnout capabilities? etc.. just anything

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2005, 09:12 PM
The AMC, FORD, & CHEVY Guy??!!

Last wiki edit: Improving fuel economy
Last journal entry: Finally on the road
Last photo:

As a previous owner of a 1996 crown vic police interceptor, I say walk away from this one. On high mileage 4.6L's the intakes are known to crack on them. Just a ticking time bomb until it starts holding coolant about as well a a sieve. With it being at 260k, the rear axle is going to be worn out, along with damn near everything. Weak points are indeed the resin manifold, corrosion in the brake lines and around the starter, plus the axle loves to die in them around 200k miles. That intake will cost you 300-350 alone because it is a dealer only part. Now if it were a low miles car (under 100,000) or a later model (1999-up has no intake problems) I'd say go for it.

They are fun cars(poor burnouts, but easy to go 130+). But I'm afraid this one will most likely leave you stranded in the cold this winter.
Old 10-08-2005, 11:42 PM
NTI Grad.

Last photo:

well... with it just being a transport car you can almost bet its a stock crown vic. these days they dont soup up their cars like they used to because "the radio is faster then a car" trust me, i've worked with a lot of law enforcement agencies reguarding their cars and VERY few have "interceptors" anymore. the only specially designed pursuit cars are 5.0L mustangs, Z28 camaros and a couple agencies out west even have corvettes. so, basically the only "hopped" up police cars are the highway patrol cars. so the chances of you having a hopped up cop car are slip. which means that 260K miles is on a stock ford engine... and you'll prolly have to replace the engine before too long. so, your just paying for the body....
Old 10-09-2005, 12:43 AM
you talkin to me?

agreed i used to work on police cars for our small town back east and all of there police cars were stock 4.6's with the exception of hoses and brakes...
the only one with interceptors like said before were pursuit car's and if this is a corrections vehicle there isn't an interceptor.
259k is alot of miles for a ford motor (chevy guy)
i would pass
Old 10-09-2005, 09:24 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Z28
these days they dont soup up their cars like they used to because "the radio is faster then a car" trust me,
this is why I don't want to be a cop. In 5 or 6 years they'll be auctioning off fwd impalas with 3800v6s, nothing special, or that Ford 500 if they make a cop version, which is pretty slow.

If you've ever seen those mean black mopar police sedans in the original Vanishing Point, that is a car I wouldn't mind copping in. Perhaps, I could get one and be a P.I. (private investigator).

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.