1992 dodge dakota no fire coming from coil - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2010, 05:23 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

1992 dodge dakota no fire coming from coil

I have a 1992 dodge dakota LE 5.2 w/318 it was running fine. Then it acted like it was running out of gas but didnt die. Then it ran fine. I turned the truck off and now it wont start. It is not getting spark from the coil. I changed the coil and it started up but it sounded very bad like it was starving for gas. It died, so I checked the coil wire and it had no fire, it started about 3 -4 times and I was able to drive it a few miles. It died and now it cranks but is not getting any fire from the coil. I changed the plug coming into the bottom of the coil and also changed the coil wire. I am at a loss.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2010, 05:41 PM

Last photo:

no start...

first for me is if u can get some gas down the throddle body??
put a ~1/4 cup or so of gas in and try again... if it starts then look for a fuel problem
Old 08-23-2010, 06:25 PM
WHO WHAT ME WAIT I DON'T KNOW.

Last journal entry: Door skins removed
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by loladavis
I have a 1992 dodge dakota LE 5.2 w/318 it was running fine. Then it acted like it was running out of gas but didnt die. Then it ran fine. I turned the truck off and now it wont start. It is not getting spark from the coil. I changed the coil and it started up but it sounded very bad like it was starving for gas. It died, so I checked the coil wire and it had no fire, it started about 3 -4 times and I was able to drive it a few miles. It died and now it cranks but is not getting any fire from the coil. I changed the plug coming into the bottom of the coil and also changed the coil wire. I am at a loss.
did you ck for fault codes... crank sensor, bad coil,
Old 08-23-2010, 07:12 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

check the coil positive lead on the vehicle harness with a test light while cranking.If it has no power chances are that the pickup coil in the distributor is bad. ( actually refered to as the crankshaft position sensor )
The pickup in the distributor must generate a signal before the ECM will allow the ASD relay( auto shutdown relay) to power up the coil or the fuel pump. simply turning the key on like a gm wont run the fuel pump for 2 seconds either. It has to see a signal form the pickup coil.
I think it is chryslers way of fail safe redundancy . If you crash the truck and the engine dies because of a broken fuel line the lack of an rpm signal commands the ASD to turn off the fuel and the coil +.There by preventing the fire that burned chicago to the ground...LOL no but seriously. the asd powers up the coil and the fuel pump and the injectors so look for B+ there first.If you have a scanner you can watch the live data for a yes or no in the crank signal PID on the screen. If you dont... throw a sensor in it.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:19 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by latech
check the coil positive lead on the vehicle harness with a test light while cranking.If it has no power chances are that the pickup coil in the distributor is bad. ( actually refered to as the crankshaft position sensor )
The pickup in the distributor must generate a signal before the ECM will allow the ASD relay( auto shutdown relay) to power up the coil or the fuel pump. simply turning the key on like a gm wont run the fuel pump for 2 seconds either. It has to see a signal form the pickup coil.
I think it is chryslers way of fail safe redundancy . If you crash the truck and the engine dies because of a broken fuel line the lack of an rpm signal commands the ASD to turn off the fuel and the coil +.There by preventing the fire that burned chicago to the ground...LOL no but seriously. the asd powers up the coil and the fuel pump and the injectors so look for B+ there first.If you have a scanner you can watch the live data for a yes or no in the crank signal PID on the screen. If you dont... throw a sensor in it.
no the cam sensor is mounted on the bell housing the dis pick up is like a cam sensor.... sorry...The crank sensor is bolted to the top of the cylinder block near the rear of right cylinder head

Last edited by 27 t; 08-23-2010 at 07:30 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:45 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27 t
no the cam sensor is mounted on the bell housing the dis pick up is like a cam sensor.... sorry...The crank sensor is bolted to the top of the cylinder block near the rear of right cylinder head
you do raise a very valid point here though. the crankshaft sensor is in the bell and that in itself is important.The camshaft sensor is in the distributor .It must generate a signal to activate the asd.Without it there will be no power to the coil or fuel pump etc. Here is the very good point you raised if the coil has power when cranking ( active ASD relay) and still no spark then it is very likely that the crank sensor is bad as it generates the base timing signal for the ignition.The vehicle needs both signals to run and no spark symptom can be cause by either sensor going bad but power at the coil while cranking will be indicative of which one is the culprit.Man I like my scan tool
Old 08-23-2010, 07:58 PM

Last photo:

That crank sensor is a common problem especially on some of the older Dodges, I have seen this very set of symptoms twice and both times it did not set a code.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:09 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
That crank sensor is a common problem especially on some of the older Dodges, I have seen this very set of symptoms twice and both times it did not set a code.
Also a ***** to change.....
Old 08-23-2010, 08:10 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Most scanners will display crank and cam PIDs and you can see wich one is not generating a signal. This particular vehicle will set a code 11 for no distributor reference while cranking.( cam sensor )

Last edited by latech; 08-23-2010 at 08:25 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:14 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

crank sensors are a very common problem on the 4.0+4.2 liter jeeps as well.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:41 PM

Thanks for all your answers.

I really appreciate all ya'alls answers. I will definitely try to get it on a code reader if possible. I actually put a brand new coil on it and it still had no spark. And I also primed it with gas an no luck. I'm gonna let my dad read your replies and we will go from there. Once again thanks for ya'alls input. I will keep ya'all posted.

Last edited by loladavis; 08-23-2010 at 11:47 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:15 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

If you can get a schematic, check for power at the coil, then check for pulses at the control side of the coil. These will either come from the ECM or the distributor. Keep working back from there.
As mentioned above the crank sensor is a very common issue on these engines but I try not to replace parts until I have proven them bad.
The crank sensor is not a lot of fun to change on that vehicle either. It is odd that it ran for a minute after you changed to coil.
I would take a hard look at all the connectors for corrosion before I did anything else

Chet
Old 08-24-2010, 11:12 PM

I checked the wires coming to the coil and there is no power

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-bucket23
If you can get a schematic, check for power at the coil, then check for pulses at the control side of the coil. These will either come from the ECM or the distributor. Keep working back from there.
As mentioned above the crank sensor is a very common issue on these engines but I try not to replace parts until I have proven them bad.
The crank sensor is not a lot of fun to change on that vehicle either. It is odd that it ran for a minute after you changed to coil.
I would take a hard look at all the connectors for corrosion before I did anything else

I checked the wires leading to the bottom of the coil and they do not have power. I actually drove it for a few miles after I changed the coil. I then put the old coil back on it and drove about a half a mile and then it died. I really need to figure out whats the issue. I see there have been a few different replies. So I am confused. I am not a mechanic but I am learning. I pulled the distributer off and I only see the rotor cap and there is a plastic plate with wires set over the shaft in the distributer. One person said the sensor they are talking about is in the distributer and another said its on the right back side of the motor.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:58 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by loladavis
I see there have been a few different replies. So I am confused.

When something like this occurs sometimes it can be several things that can cause the exact same symptoms (usually not all at once of course) so when you get multiple answers it does not mean everyone is disagreeing, just that they are trying to cover all the possibilities. For instance that crank sensor is a very common problem so the suggestion was to check it not necessarily replace it and once you do that if it checks out good then you have eliminated that possibility and you can try something else. Since you have determined there is no spark any suggestion to check things unrelated to the ignition such as the fuel system for instance can be pretty much passed over, the point being you may get several good suggestions on what it might be but you will need to eliminate them one at a time until you find which one, if any, are right.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:28 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

you have to be cranking the engine or the coil will not have power. The distributor sensor provides a signal to the pcm . When it does, it turns on the ASD relay which turns on the coil and fuel pump power 12+. If you have 12 + volts while cranking then the sensor in the distributor is generating the required signal . It will not power up the coil untill the engine is cranking and there is a distributor signal being generated.
If you still have no spark then the crank sensor ( in the back of the motor as t23 pointed out) is the most likely culprit as it generates the base timing signal for the ignition. sorting through these two conditions will lead you to the source of the trouble. All you need is a test light and a helper to turn the key
Unless you have an DVOM or a scan tool you wont be able to determine much else. BUT neither sensor is very expensive so it is probably cheaper to determine which one is indicated with the simple presumptive test I outlined and replace the one in question.It could be the computer (PCM) but you will need much more in depth testing to make that determination. It is not as likely to be the PCM as the sensor.the sensor will be less expensive than a mechanic to tell you that it is a sensor.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.