1992 nissian stanza firing and fuel pump loss siulstaneously???? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2011, 07:04 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

1992 nissian stanza firing and fuel pump loss siulstaneously????

well i have a 92 nissian stanze it was running fine yesterday went out today to go to town and it will not start it........ so my first thought was fuel pump because i didnt hear it when i turned on key i was right nothing pulled fuel line and it still had fuel in it so i tried to start again and nothing then i though the firing and it is not firing nor is the fuel pump working i am stumped on what to check now.... any ideas or thoughts greatly appreciated

15yrs old going on 16 in 6 days i need my little car bak going

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2011, 05:02 PM

Last photo:

Check your Ignition fuse & other fuses.
The Fuel Pump power circuit goes thru the Oil Pressure switch to FP Relay, when a certain amount of Oil Pr. is reached power goes to the fuel Pump.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:13 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

The distributor is the heart of the system in that car. You should check to see how to extract trouble codes manually.
The cranking signal (distributor reference) goes to the ecm ,when the ecm recieves the signal it energizes the fuel pump, and it also fires the ignition coil(s).
Most of the no start driveability problems I have encountered with the nissans has been the distributor.
This one in particular is an optical distributor, meaning it had LED and photo transistors the generate a signal.
Pull the distributor cap and look inside for oil leakeage. This will muck up the works and cause an issue like yours.Use an electrical contact cleaner ONLY to clean out the oil as other cleaners like carb cleaner can damage the LED's and cause them to not transmit light to activate the photo transistors. Trust me, look in the dizzy first.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:24 PM

good advice well i pulled the dizzy and there was a one inch place where oil has ran down on bottom side of it...... thanks for info i will go to parts store and get this fluid and one other thing while the key is on you can hear something clicking its coming from the top on tranny i forgot the name of them
Old 07-23-2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSedan64
Check your Ignition fuse & other fuses.
The Fuel Pump power circuit goes thru the Oil Pressure switch to FP Relay, when a certain amount of Oil Pr. is reached power goes to the fuel Pump.

IS THERE A WAY TO TEST MY FUEL PUMP RELAY AND IS THERE A WAY TO BYPASS MY OIL PRESSURE SWITCH???
Old 07-23-2011, 06:35 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Until you are sure the distributor is functioning all other test are invalid. You need the dist signal for both the pump and ignition. It seems you have neither.
Dont put all your faith in cleaning the oil. It works some times but is may have permeated the module and this will kill it.

I have replaced several of these distributors as well as the Hondas. Once they start to leak oil internally you are done.

Chet
Old 07-23-2011, 07:50 PM

how can i go about checkig the dizzy for signals i am only 15 i have dealt with carbed motors more and i am lost when it come to fuel injectin i cleaned the dizzy

how do i test for the signals???
Old 07-24-2011, 07:09 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Forget signals for the dizzy for now. You need an oscilliscope for that.
Here is what to do
You need to be sure about things like ignition spark and fuel pressure cause guessing wont cut it.
So pull a plug wire and check for spark by inserting a spark plug and touch it to ground. Get your buddy to turn the engine over and watch for a spark from the electrodes. Note wether you have good spark weak/intermittent spark or no spark
Next check for fuel pressure. When you first turn on the key the fuel pump relay energizes by a command from the ECM (engine control module). You should listen for the relay when you first turn on the key. It is behind the instrument cluster and will make a soft click when turned on and will do so again when it de energizes after 3-5 seconds. That would indicate that the ecm recognized the key being turned on , as it is in charge of pump relay action, when other criteria are met...like key turned on, ignition reference while cranking etc.
This means if you have a fuel pressure gauge hooked up and turn the key to the on posisition you should see the pressure start to climb.This car does NOT use an oil pressure switch to maintain fuel pump power like a chevy, once the engine starts. The pump runs from a command from the ECM.So forget the oil pressure switch .If you have no fuel pressure, and the relay did make a sound, you need to check to be sure that the relay is actually powering up the circuit. This will tell you wether the relay is bad or the pump is bad.
Also you need to check for injector pulse. You will need a " Noid" light for this. A noid light will flash to show that an injector is recieving the pulse of voltage to make it open and spray fuel.
Dont use a regular test light, it can draw to much current and burn out the driver for the injector (inside ECM).
So check for spark. Then listen for fuel pump relay, then check for fuel pressure, then check foe injector pulse. BE CERTAIN of the results, and then post what you find and we will go from there.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:36 AM

No Spark
No Fuel Pressure

Fuel Relay Be In Tommorrow
Old 07-24-2011, 11:40 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Did it click when you cycle the key? It is behind the speedo(instrument cluster)
Be sure to check all the fuses, EVERY SINGLE ONE. It is sometimes nonsensical to find a fuse that seems to have nothing to do with the car running as being the fault, so check em all..OK. I dont mean to be mean by shouting, I just cant emphasize the point well, so be sure and check all of them.
Also be sure the relay is clicking, and if it is, check to make sure it is powering the circuit.
The f pump relay wont keep it from having spark, just fuel pressure.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:44 PM

nope relay wast clicking and there is something cllicking its juss under the air filter its got abot 10 to 12 hoses ran to it...... and all fuses are good

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.