1992 Plymouth Acclaim - Won't Start - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2012, 07:42 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

1992 Plymouth Acclaim - Won't Start

I own a 1992 Plymouth Acclaim, 6-cylinder with 120K miles. Recently it has had some issues starting. A few weeks ago the starter would turn, but I had to jump it in order to get enough power for it to start. Bought a new battery and all seemed well.

This weekend my son was driving it and it began to have problems. It would start, but only run for a few seconds, then die. Eventually, it wouldn't start at all. His friends dad, who claims to be a mechanic, sprayed something (?) in the air cleaner and it would run a few seconds, then die. After learning how little gas he had put in it I had him put a couple of gallons in the tank. (Seems the gas gauge doesn't work well, either.) It started and ran, but he stopped to fill up and, of course, it wouldn't start again. The friend's dad said it was the fuel pump and offered to replace it for $300 (I only paid $700 for the car!) but I can still hear the fuel pump energize when I turn the key. Does that mean it is still good?

I towed the car home to check it out. The first thing I discovered was that both screws on the distributor cap were broken off so it was basically just sitting there. Replaced those and discovered that there was corrosion on two spark plug wires and the coil wire at the distributor cap connections. Pulled a couple of plugs and they had normal markings - no burning, oil, etc. I did get a little tingle while messing with the spark plug wires when my son cranked it, so I think it's getting a good spark.

The starter turns but it doesn't sound like it's getting fuel. Even though this is exactly what it did a few weeks ago, and even though my son sat there and cranked the starter for who knows how long, I didn't think to try jumping it again until this morning. So, that's the first thing I'll try.

Do the injectors need to be primed after running it completely empty or would the fuel pump take care of that? Any other suggestions of what to try or where to look?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2012, 07:06 PM

Last photo:

Might be a plugged fuel filter, I have no idea where it's located on that car.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:10 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

As EOD guy suggested the fuel filter could be plugged.
Adding fuel and getting it to run is a prime indicator that fuel delivery is the issue.
You need to test the fuel pressure, with a gauge, dont guess.
Then post back results.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:28 PM

The engine is a 6-cylinder, 3.0L with multi-point injectors. Where do I test the fuel pressure??? I can't find a port on the fuel rail or a Shrader valve anywhere. HELP!!!
Old 04-11-2012, 06:29 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

It probably doesnt have a test port. The fuel lines jump from the body on the passenger side to the engine right on top . real easy to see.just need a tool to disconnect the pressure(not return) line and the fittings to hook a "t" into the pressure line. You probably dont have that. Probably cant buy just the fittings you need in a fuel pressure test kit with out buying a large selection.
If you by the disconnect tool you can unhook the line and see what the connectors are like so you can find something to rig up.
If the lines have clamps that would be easy, if they have quick connects some of them have a plastic coller that is "built in" to the line where it hooks to the metal and all you have to do is push it into the hose end and it will release from the steel line.Others you will need a tool like a 3321 KD pictured below or something similar.
Also my last Photo Bump.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	31PCZHFZTNL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	6.7 KB
ID:	64708   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0112.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	615.2 KB
ID:	64709  

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.