1993 Chevy S-10 won't start??? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2012, 02:19 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

1993 Chevy S-10 won't start???

Motor is a 4.3L. It has TBI. It died on me middle of the road after I hit a pot hole in the road. So, I've changed the fuel filter in the frame rail. I took the line loose from the throttle body & have fuel there. I have the wife turn the key & try starting the motor, & there's a little--not much---gas coming from the injectors. Truck still won't start at this point.

Now, if I pour a little gas in the TB and turn the key, the truck will sputter for a few seconds till the gas burns out.

Now I have taken the throttle body off, & checked the injectors. Not much I can do with them, except blow a compressed air threw them---they are all one piece. So, can these injectors go bad? Get stopped up?

Any other thing I can check??

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2012, 03:05 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

A fuel pressure test is required at this point. You should have 12-13 lbs at least to run the TBI.
After hitting a bump and dying my guess would be the fuel pump became disconnected from the impact of the bump.
Check your pressure, if it is low or non existant, be sure the pump is powering up, if so then pull the tank and pull the pump.
It may be easier to lift the bed off actually, that leaves the pump / sender flange right where you can very easily work on it.
The bed should have six or eight bolts and a few places where the wiring fastens to it. Dont forget to unbolt the filler neck at the bedside.
3-4 guys should be all it takes to lift it off,take the tailgate off first to lighten things up a bit.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:11 PM

Last photo:

You should have a fuel pressure test port on the line going to the injectors. Borrow a gauge from Autozone and check for I think 12-15psi. You might have broke a fuel pump, or knocked the electrical connection off of it, or the relay that turns it on.
ssmonty
I see someone beat me to it.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:23 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmonty
You should have a fuel pressure test port on the line going to the injectors. Borrow a gauge from Autozone and check for I think 12-15psi. You might have broke a fuel pump, or knocked the electrical connection off of it, or the relay that turns it on.
ssmonty
That OK, at least we left him no doubt...
Old 02-12-2012, 03:26 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Wouldn't have thought it being the fuel pump, b/c fuel is reaching the TB. I undid the line going to the fuel filter, and the one coming from it, & when I turn the key on, the pump kicks on and fuel comes out of the lines. I will get a gauge & check the pressure though.

I've changed the fuel pump before, and it wasn't that hard for me. I've got a homemade lift in the back yard that I use for everything. My lil S-10 fits nice under there & I was able to do the project by myself.

So, can the injectors go bad? Stop up maybe?
Old 02-12-2012, 04:33 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Injectors can go bad, but check the fuel pressure first. Just because there is fuel doesnt mean it has sufficient pressure to spray from the injectors.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:02 PM

If It Just Sputters When You Put Fuel In It I Would Check The Modjule In The Distibter We Had A Truck At Work Doing The Same Thing And We Had To Put A New Modlule In It You Need To Check To Make Sure The Dist. Is Firing.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:07 PM

Brand new distributor---less than month old.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:36 PM

Last journal entry: Some More Roll Cage Fabrication
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmonty
ssmonty
I agree with em about the fuel. You need to check the pressure. However, that might be a little more difficult than just throwing on a tester. Some of those trucks didn't have a test port. You actually had to remove the fuel filter and put in a test adapter. I have seen both setups on the s10. The 1/2 ton tbi didn't have any test ports for sure. The good news is your tbi is the last year before they went to vortec motors, and therefore is more likely to have a shrader valve for fuel pressure testing.

Have you tried banging on the bottom of the tank next to the pump while your wife cranks the engine over? That's how we drive em into the shop after they get towed in for a no start or dead on highway. We jar the pump back to life for a bit. If it starts it is definetely a bad pump. LoL.

Good luck
Old 02-12-2012, 05:46 PM

I've looked along the fuel line, & I don't see a shrader valve. Guess ima have to get an adapter.

In regards to the pump not working, mine does work, at least a little. When I turn the key with the lines disconnected from the fuel filter, fuel does come out.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:49 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

There should be a fuel pump inertia switch located in the center of the cab, under the dash against the firewall. It may also be located in the passenger side kick panel. It is designed to shut off the fuel pump in case of a accident.

Your hitting the pothole could have triggered it to shut off the fuel pump.

All you have to do is locate it, and push down the red button on top.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:00 PM

Last journal entry: Some More Roll Cage Fabrication
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamafan
I've looked along the fuel line, & I don't see a shrader valve. Guess ima have to get an adapter.

In regards to the pump not working, mine does work, at least a little. When I turn the key with the lines disconnected from the fuel filter, fuel does come out.
Latech and ssmonty are correct. It is about fuel pressure and fuel volume. Fuel pressure is proportionately related to fuel volume. You can have fuel flowing, but it might be low volume and/or low pressure. The only way to test this is with a fuel pressure tester. A basic tester won't allow you to check volume, but the pressure tester is enough to give you an idea of why it will not start. I usually test volume for performance issues, not no start situations.

Good Luck.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethn_bert
Latech and ssmonty are correct. It is about fuel pressure and fuel volume. Fuel pressure is proportionately related to fuel volume. You can have fuel flowing, but it might be low volume and/or low pressure. The only way to test this is with a fuel pressure tester. A basic tester won't allow you to check volume, but the pressure tester is enough to give you an idea of why it will not start. I usually test volume for performance issues, not no start situations.

Good Luck.

Makes sense. Ima get a tester tomorrow.

Will that inertia switch cut off the pump totally, or just limit the fuel flow?

Thanks for all the help & I'll let y'all know what I find out.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:03 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsavvycook
There should be a fuel pump inertia switch located in the center of the cab, under the dash against the firewall. It may also be located in the passenger side kick panel. It is designed to shut off the fuel pump in case of a accident.

Your hitting the pothole could have triggered it to shut off the fuel pump.

All you have to do is locate it, and push down the red button on top.
Sorry, GM doesnt use an inertia switch, thats a ford thing.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:05 PM

Guess latech answered my question for me. quick too lololo

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.