Hot Rod Forum banner

1993 F-150 Shifter flops around

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Chris Kemp 
#1 ·
Hi guys

Went over to my dads yesterday and he was tellin me he broke his shifter the previous night. I went out to take a look at it and something is def wrong.
As the title says it basically flops around. You can move it up and down with ease and have to fight with it to put it in gear. Now after some observation and fighting with the covers I noticed u can move the shifter on the tube forward and backward like pulling it towards you and then pushing it towards the dash. I couldnt see it but could that be the shifter tube has broken? If so is it wise to get dealer parts or just go down to the parts store and pick one up?

#2 ·
350chevypower said:
Hi guys

Went over to my dads yesterday and he was tellin me he broke his shifter the previous night. I went out to take a look at it and something is def wrong.
As the title says it basically flops around. You can move it up and down with ease and have to fight with it to put it in gear. Now after some observation and fighting with the covers I noticed u can move the shifter on the tube forward and backward like pulling it towards you and then pushing it towards the dash. I couldnt see it but could that be the shifter tube has broken? If so is it wise to get dealer parts or just go down to the parts store and pick one up?
Go to the dealer and get the updated parts. The replacement tube should be made out of steel. They had trouble with the aluminum tubes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.