1993 Gmc cuts out - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2007, 06:45 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

1993 Gmc cuts out

i have a 1993 gmc 1/2ton pickup 4x4. i pulled the 4.3 out and put a 5.7 in its place. i had a problem with the idle and running to rich, i changed a lot of parts and ended up using a computer out of another truck and it made it run fine, but now i start it up and if i give gas goin down the road it seams to be cutting out, like its shorting out. my climate control stuff acts funny and changes settings when it does this. my ses light flickers too. i've about ran out of money any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2007, 12:38 PM
Certified Lead Foot

Last photo:

You may have the infamous module inside the distributor going bad syndrome.

It will cut out and on while driving. When it does this, the engine dies and many other things seem to be going crazy.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:49 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

Check and clean your battery cables and the computer power and ground cables, Loose , poorly bonded , or corroded cables will cause this EXACT problem..

Pull the Computer backplane connector, and inspect the plug, be sure the pins are not bent burned or shorted..Carefully burnish all the pins on both sides of the backplane and connector.

Did you use the same ROM from the old computer? It may have been the offender...you may need a new ROM.

The Module could be going thermal on you as well as the Coil, so you'll want to OHM test he coil and have the module tested or replaced.

Be sure the BATT wire and TACH wire aren't loose and / or shorting out.

Doc
Old 02-20-2007, 01:35 PM

it has a computer from another truck that works fine and i haven't had time to look for wiring problems, as for the plugs at the computer and the prongs on the computer they seem to be fine. the battery cables are fine and it isn't cutting all power away from the truck. also i have tried a couple coils that i had that wasn't it. lately ive been driving the truck and it seems the more i drive it the better it runs. i'm completely lost this problem has stumped me and a lot of other people. the last thing i tried was putting a ground wire from the engine to the body.
Old 02-20-2007, 02:27 PM
life is a ride

Last journal entry: LED tail lights
Last photo:

Could be a clogged fuel filter, kinked fuel line, fuel pump going bad.

Put a fuel pressure guage on the fuel log manifold. Next time it cuts out check the guage.

vicrod
Old 02-20-2007, 02:53 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

You may want to have the module checked out (freebie at most auto zombies) and have it tested several times, It may be thermal..and dieing out under heat/Load.

Be sure the Dizzy isn't getting water seepage into the coil cover (like from the hood drip-rail) this can cause cutting out and backfire, AND it doesn't take much! Wipe it all down with a spotless Cotton rag.

Make sure the Inside of the cap isn't full of carbon trails from the rotor element, AND the rotor element isn't past runout..(too short to maintain proper pressure on the rotor tang.)

Be sure the "BATT" wire as well as the TACH wire are TIGHTLY seated on the cap..If these get loose, and go intermittent, or short, will cause cutting out.

As well as what Vicrod said, you may have some BAD fuel..try a can of stabilizer and a can of octane boost in the tank and see if it gets better, If so , don't buy gas at the last place you got it again!

Doc
Old 02-20-2007, 03:59 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Bad engine ground. I would bet if you run a new ground from the battery to the engine and firewall your problem goes away. You can test this theory with a good jumper cable from the batt neg to the engine.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:19 PM

Last photo:

I forget if the trucks use the same type of underhood electrical center as the B-Bodies of the same era, but those had a problem with the battery connection to it corroding (zinc post vs. the later model brass). Trace the battery cable to the fusebox, check that and clean it. The fact that non-engine related things, like the climate control settings, are changing suggests to me that it's NOT engine related.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.