1993 Grand Cherokee Chrysler 42RE problems - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2011, 08:47 AM
1983 Z28

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

1993 Grand Cherokee Chrysler 42RE problems

Here's a brain buster. Today on the way to a friends house I smelled transmission fluid burning. Got out and found a nice steady stream coming from the bell housing. Naturally I assumed the front pump seal blew out, so I towed it home and pulled the transmission.

First of all, the front pump, seal, and pump to case gasket are all around a year and a half old, replaced due to an unrelated issue. The torque converter is a remanufactured unit about 2 years old. This is a 1993 Grand Cherokee with the 42RE (A500) transmission, by the way.

Anyways, I haven't been able to pinpoint the issue. The seal looked absolutely fine, No nicks, cuts, or other deformities. The spring was in place on the back side of it. There's no cracks in the pump or case.

I also pressure tested the torque converter, and it held 40 pounds of pressure no problem.

The only other possibility is the paper gasket between the pump and case. I've never seen one blow out before though, especially not one that was only 18 months old.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2011, 08:50 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

could be the pump, if it is worn the fluid can get aerated and then things start cooking, Aeration (foaming) can also happen if it is overfull.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:53 PM
1983 Z28

Last photo:

The pump is 18 months old with less than 10,000 miles. There was no foaming, fluid level was just below the full mark when idling in neutral last time I checked it, and the leak began upon start up judging by the puddle in my drive way, not once it was warmed up.

It really seems like it would just be the front seal, but after seeing it I have a hard time believing it would cause that large of a leak.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:38 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

Are you sure it didnt leak after it was parked there for a while?
Old 02-21-2011, 04:17 AM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr. Mechanic
Here's a brain buster. Today on the way to a friends house I smelled transmission fluid burning. Got out and found a nice steady stream coming from the bell housing. Naturally I assumed the front pump seal blew out, so I towed it home and pulled the transmission.

First of all, the front pump, seal, and pump to case gasket are all around a year and a half old, replaced due to an unrelated issue. The torque converter is a remanufactured unit about 2 years old. This is a 1993 Grand Cherokee with the 42RE (A500) transmission, by the way.

Anyways, I haven't been able to pinpoint the issue. The seal looked absolutely fine, No nicks, cuts, or other deformities. The spring was in place on the back side of it. There's no cracks in the pump or case.

I also pressure tested the torque converter, and it held 40 pounds of pressure no problem.

The only other possibility is the paper gasket between the pump and case. I've never seen one blow out before though, especially not one that was only 18 months old.

Any ideas?
are you checking the fluid with the trans in neutral while running? if it does not have an updated manual valve from the rebuild, it needs to be checked in neutral, otherwise your going to be roughly 1 1/2 qts of fluid overfull and when it gets hot, its going to vent. which is at the top of the pump.
odds are you just over filled the trans and it vented.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:58 AM
1983 Z28

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr. Mechanic
The pump is 18 months old with less than 10,000 miles. There was no foaming, fluid level was just below the full mark when idling in neutral last time I checked it, and the leak began upon start up judging by the puddle in my drive way, not once it was warmed up.

It really seems like it would just be the front seal, but after seeing it I have a hard time believing it would cause that large of a leak.
^, definitely not overfilled. The next step is to pressure test the case and see where the fluid comes out.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.