Hot Rod Forum banner

1993 TA with 700R4, leaks oil after shut off

12K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  E.Furgal 
#1 ·
Hey Guys!
I have a 93 TA with a 700R4. It only leaks directly after shut off. It leaks out about half a litre when it's warm as soon as I shut it off. It would appear to be coming from the general direction of the kickdown cable area. It's wet all over that passenger side. I just changed the grommet, gasket and filter while I was in there and it's still leaking out. Any ideas on what else is around there that would cause this. It's hard to pin point cause it only does is after driving then shutting it off and I don't have a hoist. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#4 ·
Welcome to Hotrodders . com

I edited the thread title. Please place information on the subject in the thread title so the membership has an idea by this title what your problem is.

Trans oil expands and thins out when hot. The level of the oil in the trans is higher slightly. This can cause a leak, when there is no leak while cold.

#5 ·
And it may be just the distance to make it flow over at the dipstick tube? It drops out about half a litre if I top it up and if I don't top it up it's wont discharge any at all. Could it be that when I refill it it's just not leaking because the fluid is still to thick at this point to leak? As you can tell I'm no professional mechanic but I do most of my own work. I dropped the pan and replaced the kickdown cable grommet, filter and gasket ( torqued to 12ftlbs) now I'll take a look at the dipstick tube and get back to you. Thanks so much for the help guys!!

#6 ·
When the engine's running the fluid level is about even with the Pan mounting surface. After shut off the TC/TorqueConverter drains back into the pan which raises the fluid level. It can then leak out the front/rear, TV cable, Dipstick, Shift shaft or Speedo seals if they're old/dry/worn.

#11 ·
So it's definately coming from the kickdown cable!! I changed the grommet ("top hat style") and its still leaking. I have two questions. Is the top hat style the right one for the 700R4? Should I have done anything else before replacing it (red gasket maker? Anything?) thanks guys

#12 ·
How was the cable and sealing sleeve installed?

Did you slide the sleeve (grommet) onto the cable first, then slide that whole assembly into the case? Incorrect method.

Did you install the sealing sleeve (gromet) into the case first , then install the lubricated cable end into the sleeve? Correct method

:pimp:

#18 ·
Any chance I could put a rubber washer around the hole aswell and tighten it up? Or will that not work? I'm at a loss here.... Everything was done correctly and there are no faulty parts because I just checked them all because I had suspicion of a melted cable but it's fine.... I don't know what to do next.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.