1994 Dodge Dakota 4x4 automatic Myterious problem - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2009, 08:46 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

1994 Dodge Dakota 4x4 automatic Myterious problem

1994 Dodge Dakota 4x4 automatic will be running fine and after a few minutes it seems like it slips out of gear and will not go into any gear. After it sits for about a half hour it will go into drive and move about a mile then starts slipping again. Fluid is full and doesn't look or smell burnt and isn't hot to the touch. What else might be causing this problem. Trans. was replaced a little over a year ago and just replaced the torque converter a couple months ago and truck was working fine when this started happening. First began while driving down the freeway at about 60 and suddenly it was like I had shifted into neutral and was coasting. Had to exit and by the time my tow showed up I put in gear and it was like nothing was wrong. A little over a mile later and I was in neutral again. This time I got towed home and was able to drive it up into my driveway no problem. Next day I decided to check it out and only made it about 4 blocks when it stopped. I let it sit and after about a half hour I was able to drive it home. Is the thing over heating? I'm ready to donate the thing and get a Chevy if this gets too expensive. Already got gouged once when I paid $2,600.00 for the transmission.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2009, 09:12 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

sounds like the filter is clogged up...... fluid drains out the crude and the unit operates a short distance.

if you drop the pan ,check filter for debris
Old 09-11-2009, 09:17 PM
http://www.warsprints.com

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosley
sounds like the filter is clogged up...... fluid drains out the crude and the unit operates a short distance.

if you drop the pan ,check filter for debris
Not 100% sure but I have read somewhere that some Dodge tranny's have 2 filters.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:26 AM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by S10 Racer
Not 100% sure but I have read somewhere that some Dodge tranny's have 2 filters.
on 99-up 45 RFE and 68 RFE transmissions.
a 94 dakota will either have a A500 or A518.

to the OP of this thread,

"1994 Dodge Dakota 4x4 automatic will be running fine and after a few minutes it seems like it slips out of gear and will not go into any gear. After it sits for about a half hour it will go into drive and move about a mile then starts slipping again. Fluid is full and doesn't look or smell burnt and isn't hot to the touch. What else might be causing this problem. Trans. was replaced a little over a year ago and just replaced the torque converter a couple months ago and truck was working fine when this started happening. First began while driving down the freeway at about 60 and suddenly it was like I had shifted into neutral and was coasting. Had to exit and by the time my tow showed up I put in gear and it was like nothing was wrong. A little over a mile later and I was in neutral again. This time I got towed home and was able to drive it up into my driveway no problem. Next day I decided to check it out and only made it about 4 blocks when it stopped. I let it sit and after about a half hour I was able to drive it home. Is the thing over heating? I'm ready to donate the thing and get a Chevy if this gets too expensive. Already got gouged once when I paid $2,600.00 for the transmission."

i copied and pasted what you put in here and noticed a couple things that werent mentioned or asked.
you mentioned that you replaced the torque converter, what was the reason for the replacement? when you did the converter replacement, did you service the trans (new filter and pan gasket)?
how much fluid did you put back in? were you checking the fluid level in park or in neutral? (not all shops update the manual valve so it can be checked in park for this trans) it will read hi if checked in park if manual valve has not been updated.
you also mention when checking the fluid that its not hot to the touch. how long has the engine been running when you check it? is the engine @ operating temp? have you pulled the return cooler line to check for flow?
if the cooler lines are restricted/ plugged up, it is the same as if the filter is plugging up like crosley mentioned that could be a possibility.
sorry for all the questions, but its relevant to helping you figure out whats happened/ going on with the problem of your transmission.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:03 AM

Yes,Yes, and I think so

OK, The torque converter was changed after the teeth inside stripped out. I put it in myself and while i had the trans out I replaced the filter and gasket. I was having trouble with the pressure side cooling line leaking and fixed that by cutting the hard line and adding a short piece of flex hose. It no longer leaks. Its possible that some of the metal shavings from inside the old converter have worked their way into the filter because I never flushed the system after putting in the new converter. Its such a pain in the quester to drain the trans pan because fluid ends up getting all over either the friggen trans support, the exhaust crossover, or me before finally missing the damn drain pan and finding the driveway. I did check it while it was in park but I ran it through the gears, added fluid, ran it through the gears, checked the level, added more fluid, and yada yada yada. So I'll first remove the return side of the cooling line and start the truck to make sure fluid is being pumped and if it is then I'll let it run til its nearly empty then drop the pan and check the filter. Can I clean the filter or will I need a new one? After I put it back together if there's still a problem watch the news for the trans shop that got plowed into by the pissed off over charged former customer who paid $2,600.00 for a transmission and decided to return it a little over a year later with a Dakota truck attached. Let them smell what I'm been steppin in.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:43 AM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trblmker
OK, The torque converter was changed after the teeth inside stripped out. I put it in myself and while i had the trans out I replaced the filter and gasket. I was having trouble with the pressure side cooling line leaking and fixed that by cutting the hard line and adding a short piece of flex hose. It no longer leaks. Its possible that some of the metal shavings from inside the old converter have worked their way into the filter because I never flushed the system after putting in the new converter. Its such a pain in the quester to drain the trans pan because fluid ends up getting all over either the friggen trans support, the exhaust crossover, or me before finally missing the damn drain pan and finding the driveway. I did check it while it was in park but I ran it through the gears, added fluid, ran it through the gears, checked the level, added more fluid, and yada yada yada. So I'll first remove the return side of the cooling line and start the truck to make sure fluid is being pumped and if it is then I'll let it run til its nearly empty then drop the pan and check the filter. Can I clean the filter or will I need a new one? After I put it back together if there's still a problem watch the news for the trans shop that got plowed into by the pissed off over charged former customer who paid $2,600.00 for a transmission and decided to return it a little over a year later with a Dakota truck attached. Let them smell what I'm been steppin in.
ok, well this new info helps. the fluid level needs to be checked in neutral, unless you know for sure that the shop that built the unit intalled the updated manual valve.
it might be worth a try to change the filter and fluid checked in neutral(just to be safe) and see if the problem is fixed. gl
Old 07-02-2012, 04:25 PM

Same problem for the first time on mine since new...

I have a 99 Dakota SLT 4X4 with a 318cid engine and 186K miles that I bought hew and serviced oil and full drive train regularly... I just had the same thing happon to me this past friday for the first time and like you I was towed home 400 miles... I just serviced it again today with little improvement after a 9 mile test drive... in and out of gear but ok when cool... What did you finally find out was the problem with yours...? Trans Oil cooler, Lines or filter...??? I need a fix for this as its all I can afford since I am now retired...
Old 07-02-2012, 10:23 PM

Dakota1949007,
My problem was complex yet simple to take care of. If you read my earlier posts then you know that My problem started by trusting the same shop that had charged me $2600.00 for a trans. that they said was new. When the torque converter went out less than 2 years later they attempted to charge me $350.00 to reassemble the trans. which they should not have disassembled. When I refused to pay and told them I would put the converter in myself they reassembled the trans. and somehow shavings of the ckutches and gears ended up completely blocking the flow of fluid through the filter less than 3 months later. When I questioned them about this they said I must have incorrectly installed the converter. Valueable lesson was learned by both myself and the shop. They learned that if your going to screw someone like me then your shop had better not be made of wood. I learned that theres no such thing as an honest repair shop. So far their lesson was more costly. As for your problem Your going to have to drop that pan and inspect the filter. Its not that hard and a new filter cost between $8.00-$12.00 at auto zone. Good luck and I hope that a clogged filter is your only problem. But usually it is clogged because something else failed. If you need a trans. don't take it to a shop unless the shop is constructed out of a combustable material.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:08 AM

Similar yet different...

Thanks for the reply and info and yes, I've already changed the filter myself but I still believe there is some restriction... It all started after pulling a small load over mountians in hot tempatures... Fluid is pumping now but, after a short distance it slips out of gear....kinda thinking oil cooler... Just wondering if others have had something similar with the Transmission Oil Cooler....

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.