1994' Dodge Dakota trans match up - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2009, 11:43 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

1994' Dodge Dakota trans match up

Would'a: If I knew then what I know now I would have waited.

Should'a: Given what little knowledge I have on the subject I should have waited.

Could'a: I didn't have an immediate need to use the truck, I could have waited.

DIDN'T::: But I wanted to save some serious dough so I didn't Wait ..

I went and took a Trans. from a 95' Grand Cherokee for my 94' Dodge Dakota. Looked like a good match, Same exact 5.2L 318, same pan shape, everything looked like a good match. Because it was one of those pic n pull "1/2 price" weekends, I spent the $95.00. It was also an all sales are final, no returns weekend. Done deal, I went home and removed my trans. and placed them side by side and thats when it hit me....The Grand Cherokee starter mounts on the other side of the transmission , which I didn't even notice as I rushed to beat the clock before the 1/2 price sun set. Damn, I hate when that happens, But MAYBE????? If I can get some longer starter wires, I think I can use this transmission. It mounts right up to my block, perfectly. Torque converter bolts right up to the flex plate, perfectly. Crossmember bolts line right up, and the transfer case bolts up, perfectly. This might work... All I need to do now is somehow put a slight indentation in the OILPAN so that the starter will mount straight, then modify the support bracket that bolts that side of the front axle to the bell housing and WHALAH. Any body see any reason, other than the obvious, why this wouldn't, shouldn't, or couldn't work?? If there is any reason why these parts should not become united, speak now PLEASE because I'm not the type that spends time. After all, Time is something you do, $$$ is something you spend. Seems like I have more of the first and not enough of the second? This could end up being expensive, I better tell the wife to get a second job, or I could get a second wife????

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2009, 01:33 PM
boatbob2

Whalah....

Hi,been there ,done that,cried in my beer. if you decide on a second wife,send me the first one haha,i need one that wont beat me up !!!!!! Sorry,cant help with your problem,im a ford man.....
Old 11-10-2009, 02:38 PM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

I hate it when that happens. I got a brake drum off a wrecker I thought had the same one 3 day's ago. It wasn't. The hub was longer and the drum wider.
21 bucks down the drain. Shame on Chrysler for doing that!
Old 11-10-2009, 02:49 PM

Slight modifications never fall off, do they?

What might not fit now, can fit if you insist. And yes, shame, shame on the Chrysler Corp. What were they thinking making so many parts look so similar. Don't they know what were capable of? If we build it, it may make us come... or something like that...
Old 11-10-2009, 04:23 PM
Psychomotors

Would it be possible to get the oil pan from the engine that was at the pick-n-pull?The one that was attached to the trans you bought.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:51 PM

Last wiki edit: Wiring diagram 1953 Chevrolet
Last journal entry: Spare Tire Dent Removal
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 647

Can you say Hollander Interchange Manual!
Old 11-10-2009, 05:16 PM

I could, except....

the oil pan that I need to modify is attached to the engine, not the trans.

" Hollander interchange manual" easy to say, now if I had some idea what this is I could move out of this cave I live in. But at this time in my life I have seen those three words used together exactly one time. I even remember the date. I remember it like it was yesterday, except it was today.Comments without explanations blow. Maybe if I went enroll at Wyo-tech they will give me a study manual so I can read between the lines better. Until then I'm still looking for some positive feedback as to whether this could work or am I just making more headaches for myself?
Old 11-10-2009, 06:03 PM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

That's what hotrodding is all about! If you can make it work, do it. I think TROYBOY was asking about getting the engine oil pan off the doner vehicle if it has an indentation for the starter. It's going to be tough to find the info you want on this site because not allot of guy's have hotrodded 94 dodge dakota's.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:09 PM
rodin better than $** any day

Last photo:

the only thing that i could see that could go wrong is when indenting the oil pan you put whole in it. and when you say modify the bracket for the front axle to bell housing, do you mean make longer make shorter, or refabricate the bracket. it could work if you are careful and precise.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:41 AM

It's a Dakota

There is nothing about a 94 Dakota that even remotely resembles a Hot Rod, YET!!!! And when I'm finished it might be a 94 Dodge piece of junk, but it'll be all mine...I might need to return for the oil pan because this one is being stubborn and refuses to mold. I cant recall if the Grand Cherokee had an indentation or not. I can look at Moparpartsamerica.com and view a drawing of the motor and it's equipment to see. If they had a drawing of the transmission I wouldn't have this problem. But they didn't.
In order to keep that support bracket it will need to be entirely different, so it may need to be left off for now. I've almost got it done now, a few tidbits and I'll need to bust a bottle on the grill. Having trouble keeping the eyes open so I'm punching out. Thanks for the feedback, I'll be back in the A.M.
LATER
Old 11-11-2009, 07:03 AM
Psychomotors

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqzbox
That's what hotrodding is all about! If you can make it work, do it. I think TROYBOY was asking about getting the engine oil pan off the doner vehicle if it has an indentation for the starter. It's going to be tough to find the info you want on this site because not allot of guy's have hotrodded 94 dodge dakota's.
Thanks Sqzbox That is what I meant Good luck with the whole Hollander mess.I doubt the pic n pull would have one anyway.If you get the pan from the other engine,take the oil pickup tube also-JUST IN CASE.You never know,there may be a difference with that too.Good luck
Old 11-11-2009, 09:28 AM

Now, about that other oil pan

AAAHHH yes!!!!! It is the A.M. and my batteries have been recharged, I can see straight, and think clearly, I think. Sooooo without further ado, away we go....
If it turns out that I need to remove the pan from that pic n pull vehicle it brings up a whole new problem because that Grand Cherokee happened to become a pic n pull vehicle through the "cash for clunkers" program. That means the engine has been completely destroyed. They run a "liquid glass" potion (60% water and 40% sulfur silicate) through it until it completely seizes the bearings which of course freezes the engine. It will never run again. Then when pic n pull receives these clunkers they immediately punch a hole through the oil pan, drain any fluid, and then they pound a rubber plug into the hole. I guess they don't have the time to remove the factory plugs. They also do the same with the trans. fluid pan forcing you to use your own which is what I had to do. Since the pan has been punched and liquid death was circulated through the oil passages my guess is that the oil pump and pick up are also contaminated and useless even though the potion has been drained from the oil pan. I'm not sure if this death potion affects the oil pan itself but punching a 3/8" hole and stuffing a rubber plug in it might. I don't know if the plug would stand up to the intense heat and high pressure generated inside the powerhouse Dodge called "94 DAKOTA". Has anybody here used a pic n pull motor and left the oil pan with the rubber plug attached? if so how did that turn out for you?? There are other bone yards where I can likely find a 95' Grand Cherokee oil pan if I have to. I really don't want to change mine because it requires dropping the front trans axle to make room for the pan. Can't raise the motor high enough to get the pan past the axle without unbolting the transmission. I only wanted to install a TRANSMISSION not redesign a friggen masterpiece, this ain't "overhaulin" damn-it, it ain't underhaulin either, its a 94' Dodge Dakota and right now it ain't haulin anything at all.
Later, gotta go, the wife sez "get back to work" before she calls pic n pull and tells em to come get their parts.... SSSSSHHHHHH lets not piss her off, she's vicious.....
Old 11-11-2009, 09:32 AM

Correction, its sodium silicate

My bad I thought I was awake.. its 40% sodium silicate and 60% water.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:12 AM

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Wiki Edits: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by trblmker
" Hollander interchange manual" easy to say, now if I had some idea what this is I could move out of this cave I live in. But at this time in my life I have seen those three words used together exactly one time. I even remember the date. I remember it like it was yesterday, except it was today.Comments without explanations blow.
Can you say "Google search?"

We don't have time to do all of YOUR research. We have our own lives to live and we only have time to point you in the right direction.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:27 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmerlinn
Can you say "Google search?"

We don't have time to do all of YOUR research. We have our own lives to live and we only have time to point you in the right direction.
A bit harsh and uncalled for in my opinion, as this site is full of people with a wealth of knowledge, and just maybe someone here can help him figure out his problem and help solve it in a way that isn't too difficult.

Just maybe there isn't too much information out there to be found on this subject as most people put money before a hands on experience and pay someone else to do this, usually a transmission shop or the dealer, and you know darned well they don't have the time to get on the internet and share all their knowledge all at once for all to see. Although there ARE a few very well knowledged transmission guys on this site, evidently they don't have the answer he's looking for and haven't posted, OR they just haven't seen this thread as of yet.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.