1994 TBI issues - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2010, 12:49 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

1994 TBI issues

My new engine has been in for awhile and runs hard but will not idle properly all the time. I have relaced injecters, O2 sensor, IAC valve rebuilt throttle body and checked for vacuum leaks 100 times. What could my problem be? a timing issue? i have a oem replacement cam chain in it which has retardation built into it. In order to compensate for this i ahve the timing advanced 18 degrees! it does not ping either. Do i need to put the timing chain in the truck that is made for the cam? and also there is a funny buzzing noise coming from top of injector housing that matches RPM level...wierd... Please help Me!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2010, 01:33 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane.,herold
My new engine has been in for awhile and runs hard but will not idle properly all the time. I have relaced injecters, O2 sensor, IAC valve rebuilt throttle body and checked for vacuum leaks 100 times. What could my problem be? a timing issue? i have a oem replacement cam chain in it which has retardation built into it. In order to compensate for this i ahve the timing advanced 18 degrees! it does not ping either. Do i need to put the timing chain in the truck that is made for the cam? and also there is a funny buzzing noise coming from top of injector housing that matches RPM level...wierd... Please help Me!!
The injector shouldn't be making buzzing sounds, though in concert with engine RPM would be something to expect if they do as the injectors cycle very rapidly and that is in concert with RPMs.

You cannot defeat the timing set up without changing the chip in the computer to go with the change in timing set. The engine won't detonate because there is a detonation sensor that pulls out the timing advance when it hears pinging. If the engine is tripping that sensor, the engine will run run crappy with poor gas mileage, low power and rough running.

Operating temp is also sensitive, the engine needs to get to and above 176 degrees to get out of cold start mode (choke). If per-chance you dropped the thermostat to less than that, it isn't getting out of start up mode which will be excessively rich for a warm engine to always be running on.

Bogie
Old 09-17-2010, 03:26 PM
Race The Truck

Last journal entry: Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Truck.
Last photo:

Tbi trucks! You just can't throw in an old cam and expect it to run right with out a lot of modding! chip tuning and so on! I send everyone to this site to where all the truck modding is going on. Some people don't thing you can make a lot of power with tbi but you can. It will help you out alot. www.fullsizechevy.com

Craig
Old 09-17-2010, 07:14 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

That cam chain may be causing your problems. Why didn't you just use a stock replacement?
Old 09-18-2010, 10:47 AM

i used a stock replacement is the problem. The eddelbrock 3702 cam is made to use a older style cam chain with no retardation. i bought a chain to match it but have not put it in yet. The operating temp is correct that was my first thought.

yesterday at one point when it was idling correctly i un hooked the IAC and continued to drive it. It stumbles once on startup then runs fine after. i am at a loss but definately need to fix the timing situation. I backed it down to about 4 degrees once, it absolutely was gutless.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.