1994 wrangler wont start- 2.5l - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2010, 09:40 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

1994 wrangler wont start- 2.5l

i have a 94 wrangler with a 2.5l 4cyl engine and it turns over but wont start and yes i have gas in it. i have replaced the coil and crank sensor, it randomly quit while i was driving home. the last time it did it i replaced a blown 30A fuse. the fuel pump kicks on the only problem is that there is no power to the coil. woiuld the cam sensor in the distrubuter be the problem or would it be something else. please help i need this to work asap so i can get to work!!! thank you-kyle

and also if anyone has any idea why it keeps spittin antifreeze out the overflow under normal temp and running conditions let me know
thank you

Advertisement

Last edited by FirstOnRaceDay11; 09-27-2010 at 09:50 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2010, 11:57 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

2 things cause a no start on those engines ( and the 4.0L's ). the crank sensor, and the camshaft position sensor.. the ignition will not spark until it senses 1 rotation from each sensor
Old 09-28-2010, 06:13 PM

ok

here's the deal now. i put an new cam sensor on it and nothing still. its not even trying to start still.
the other day when it stopped running i acted like it was a bad wire connection( now that i think about it) somewhere but i cant trace it down.
any clue on what i should be looking for?
keep in mind i have power to the fuel pump and the injectors just not the coil. and i tested both wires that go into the coil(+ and - side). neither gave me any indication of power from either side of the battery
Old 09-28-2010, 06:21 PM
Licenced Automotive Technician

Last photo:

The coil is fed off the ASD relay, the same as the fuel pump. It only sees pawer momentarily when the key is turned on, but will see power when cranking. Hook a test light up to the negative side of the coil, and put it to power, then crank the engine. You should see the test light pulse on-off-on-off. If it does not, then you are missing one or more of the inputs from the crank and cam sensors. It was fairly common on these 2.5's and the 4.0's in the jeeps to seize the distributor shaft in the dizzy housing, the result being a shattered drive gear(usually). this lead to no diszzy rotation, hence no spark. A quick and dirty look was to see if the dizzy had been dragged around a bit under the hold down clamp, as when the bushings seized it would rotate the distributor body clockwise a bit.

Forgot to mention, also check the timing belt as the intermediate shaft that drives the dizzy is driven off it. No belt, no rotation on the dizzy, no spark and no start. It is a non interferance engine, so if the belt broke/stripped, not a big deal.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:32 PM

hmm

still nothing no flicker at all

and what do you mean by inputs from the sensors? the computer is not telling me that theres a problem with them at all and i ran the codes just a little bit ago.
do you think theres a wire from one of the sensors no connecting with the computer?

and the dizzy is spinning

thank you all for the help by the way

Last edited by FirstOnRaceDay11; 09-28-2010 at 06:38 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:04 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

sbc chev freak is correct missing crank or cam sensor signal will cause no asd relay operation which will not run the pump or power the coil.you replaced both sensors and no go, so
Have you checked ALL the fuses. If they are all good then check for power at the ignition coil positive side while cranking (ASD ENERGIZED) if no go... there then check for reference voltage at the connector to both sensors the wire color is orange. It could be 5 volts or 8 volts.I dont recall specifically. Point is if you dont have a voltage on the orange wire then the pcm is not sending power to them and may the culprit. It is pretty common with jeeps and chryslers.I would like feedback on this piece of info the most,K
be sure that the fuses are good and have power with the key on.
Fuse F 1 in the power distribution center is the fuse that supplys the asd and the pcm with power.
like sbc freak said check for distributor rotation.this motor is timing chain driven not belt. But they both will break and fail to turn the distributor and cam shaft.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:08 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

also spittin antifreeze could be a weak radiator cap.If you have replaced it and it still does the same thing then it could be a head gasket,or it is overheating and the temp gauge is reading wrong
Old 09-28-2010, 09:54 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

You need to find someone with a scan tool that can see what signals are missing. You have replaced several thing you didnt need to already. The most common failure item on that engine is the crank sensor and it sounds like the only thing you havent replaced yet.
Please find someone with the proper tools to diagnose the issue. It probably would have been cheaper to pay someone to fix it then what you have spent on parts you didnt need.

Chet
Old 09-29-2010, 06:44 PM

ok just went out and tested it and no power on either orange wire to either sensor so now my question is what do i do to fix it? why is my pcm not giving them power?

oops and yess all fuses are good

Quote:
Originally Posted by latech
sbc chev freak is correct missing crank or cam sensor signal will cause no asd relay operation which will not run the pump or power the coil.you replaced both sensors and no go, so
Have you checked ALL the fuses. If they are all good then check for power at the ignition coil positive side while cranking (ASD ENERGIZED) if no go... there then check for reference voltage at the connector to both sensors the wire color is orange. It could be 5 volts or 8 volts.I dont recall specifically. Point is if you dont have a voltage on the orange wire then the pcm is not sending power to them and may the culprit. It is pretty common with jeeps and chryslers.I would like feedback on this piece of info the most,K
be sure that the fuses are good and have power with the key on.
Fuse F 1 in the power distribution center is the fuse that supplys the asd and the pcm with power.
like sbc freak said check for distributor rotation.this motor is timing chain driven not belt. But they both will break and fail to turn the distributor and cam shaft.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:52 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOnRaceDay11
ok just went out and tested it and no power on either orange wire to either sensor so now my question is what do i do to fix it? why is my pcm not giving them power?

oops and yess all fuses are good
OK you will have to verify the power circuits to the pcm.Give me a few minutes and I'll post the colors and pin positions at the pcm.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:02 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

On the plug for the pcm the pin in number 3 position should be Red with White stripe. It should be 12 volts all the time

Pin 9 should be yellow with white stripe and should have power with the key on
It has a fuse in the fuse box fuse number 5 it is 10 amp. I think it is in the fuse box under the dash not the one under the hood. Check both again to be sure.
If you have these 2 input voltages and the reference voltage you tested earlier is not there the the pcm puked.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:10 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

[QUOTE=FirstOnRaceDay11] it randomly quit while i was driving home. the last time it did it i replaced a blown 30A fuse.

Which fuse was that by the way? was it the F 1 fuse in the underhood box?

( I am trying to determine the root cause)
Old 09-29-2010, 08:14 PM

yes it was. its the only 30A fuse in the box
Old 09-29-2010, 08:40 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

The ignition coil could have shorted or leak a high voltage from the secondary and blown the fuse.I wouldnt be suprised if it took out the pcm the second time. I saw you put on an ignition coil so now you need to change the computer.The coil probably smoked your PCM
If you buy a remanufactured one keep this in mind. Cardone is the absolute worst POS there is. I would run a junk yard computer first.I have looked in at the boards on some of the PCMs that cardone peddles as Remanufactured and the work is shoddy ,about 50 percent fail within the first week.I have no axe to grind with them,they just sell junk

I would get one from napa or a junkyard if you have to.There are better alternatives to getting one remanufactured if one is not readily available.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:47 PM

ok the red wire with a white stripe has power but the yellow with white stripe does not and yes the key is on and i could not find a blown fuse

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.