1995 5.7L Vortec Build - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2010, 01:12 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

1995 5.7L Vortec Build

I have a 1995 chevy 350 block and was wanting to add a set of vortec heads, aftermarket dual plane intake w/TBI adapter, a stock to mild hydraulic flat tappet cam and use my stock MAP based TBI with my stock ECM and ignition.
I was going to use either aftermarket dished or stock 1996 vortec block pistons in order to keep the compression around 9.1:1 or stock as this is going to be my daily driver.
I figured I would need to do some computer adjustments inorder for the set up to run correct with the new vortec heads and cam. I have heard several ideas on this such as just getting a hypertech stage 2 chip, finding a 1995 big block ECM or just having the ECM reprogramed. I have even heard or read that if I keep my cam mild enough or close to stock that the manifold idle vacuum should stay between 14 and 17, which is close enough to stock and the ECM would self adjust and be fine?
If any one has any prior experience or helpful suggestions and ideas on final engine compression, vacuum or the ECM perimeters they would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2010, 02:57 PM
done learning, done living

Last photo:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-3704/

use something like this instead of the adapter to a carburated manifold. I tried the carb manifold with egr and the idle air control gets in the way of the egr valve.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crussell85
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-3704/

use something like this instead of the adapter to a carburated manifold. I tried the carb manifold with egr and the idle air control gets in the way of the egr valve.
I have actually looked into a new TBI intake for vortec heads and GMPP makes one but it costs around $380 which is more than I would like to spend on a intake. Thanks for the heads up though.
I was considering maybe doing away with the EGR...but im not sure just what kind of headache this would be. I have read doing this would cause me to loose fuel economy and as far as the emissions im not to worried about that where I live. I do know the Vortec heads use a different style EGR and have no passage in them for the old style....so I would have to plumb a line from the exhaust manifold and once again im not sure how to go about this.
There seems to be alot more involved in a Vortec upgrade and trying to keep the stock TBI than I was expecting. I am trying to do this on a small budget that seems to be growing everyday
I have done some reading on Vortec heads and for my particular project given it will be a daily driver in a 95' 1/2 ton and be used more for commute and hauling and seldom see 4000 RPM, I might be better of just keeping the stock 95' swirl heads and just adding a mild cam. I would like to increase the output and add some getty up but are vortecs really that much better than stock swirl heads for a semi stock application like mine? I am working with a small budget and need to be realistic to what my needs are. If any one has any thoughts or experience on this I would like to hear it.
Thanks

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.