1995 Aero Star van transmission questions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2012, 04:18 PM

Last journal entry: Done with the Engine
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

1995 Aero Star van transmission questions

'95 Ford Aero Star Van... ( A4LD ) Trans... Has (4) Wires hanging down, For Shifts into 3rd. & O.D. [ RED,WHITE,BLACK & BROWN.] Where do they go?
Which Wire Shifts 3rd. Which wire shifts O.D. ? "Black Ground for both?" I Want to connect them to (2) "Toggle Switches". Each Toggle has 3 places for connection.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2012, 04:32 PM

Last journal entry: Done with the Engine
Last photo:

I have an A4LD... Mine has 4 Wires comming out of it. I was told they opperate the 3rd. & O.D. Shifts... " Have NO idea where they go... [ Check on the wires from As Close to the trans as you can, For Shorting...All the way to their supply! ( I don't know their supply or I'd know how to fix mine.)
Old 01-12-2012, 04:44 PM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevynut
I have looked thru posts on this transmission and didn't find one that seemed to fit.
I have a 86 Ranger with the 2.3l and a4ld trans. When starting out in 1st when cold it shifts OK, but when it warms up you have to let off the gas to get it to shift. Also once you get into 3rd in shifts up and back (3rd to 4th and back). Any ideas what the problem could be? one more question, How much trouble would it be to install the M5R1 manual tranny? Thanks for any help you can give.
the electrics that go to the trans are for 4th and tcc apply. it could be electric, it could be mechanical. as it still has mechanical parts applying the band for 4th gear.
with having to let off the gas to get it to shift when hot, and the fluxuation of it going in and out of 4th gear, it may have lived its serviceable life.
as far as installing a m5r1, it possible as they came in those trucks and mazda pickups as well. it would be best to get the whole assembly from a donor vehicle. under the dash is where to look first to make sure it will work as since its an automatic, the under dash assembly for the pedals may not be able to accept a clutch pedal and the bracketry may need to be changed, along with possibly cutting a hole in the floorboard for the clutch master to go through.
biggest thing i hate with the ford hydraulics is that the slve is internal and a real bear to get properly bled out. hope this helps.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:45 PM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

3rd is hydraulic, not electrically controlled. are you sure these wires dont go to the neutral switch that screws down into the case?
Old 01-12-2012, 06:13 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

packmule... I edited the thread title. We do not use HELP in thread titles. Please place information in the thread title so the members have an idea if they can help you with your problem.

I also merged your multiple questions on the same subject into one thread here.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.