1995 TBI 383 Chevy Intake Manifold - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2011, 07:02 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

1995 TBI 383 Chevy Intake Manifold

Do I need a 1996 - later sbc intake manifold or a pre 1987 sbc intake for a 1995 tbi sbc? Or are they there own thing?

Thank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2011, 08:31 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

if it has the '87-'95 heads, then you need a factory TBI manifold, or Edelbrock also makes sort of an upgraded intake but it's still basicly the same.. if it has Vortech heads, then you need a GMPP Vortech- TBI intake, and if it has pre '87 heads ( perimiter valve cover bolts ) then you will need a basic 4bbl with a TBI adapter
Old 01-25-2011, 12:01 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972RedNeck
Do I need a 1996 - later sbc intake manifold or a pre 1987 sbc intake for a 1995 tbi sbc? Or are they there own thing?

Thank
The heads will be a major concern as to which intake you use. The 1987 thru 1995, 350 with TBI is the LO5 engine. It uses swirl port heads which have mostly the usual Chevy bolt pattern except the center bolts, 2 on each side adjacent to the plenum, change the angle these bolts make to the head's intake port surface from 90 to 72 degrees. These heads would use the regular production TBI intake, or the Edlebrock 3704 intake.

The use of pre 1987 heads would require you to use a 4 barrel intake with a carb to TBI adapter plate.

The use of Vortec heads would require the GMPP 12496821 intake. Or use an aftermarket Vortec to 4 bbl intake with a TBI adapter plate.

TBI is not sensitive to signal at the venturies like a carb, this can let you get away with single plane intakes which could otherwise be a problem on a mild street engine when using a carb. However, TBI is sensitive to displacement and valve timing changes, these require a new chip with a specific program for the changes inside the engine.

Bogie
Old 01-25-2011, 06:54 PM

Sorry, I should have explained myself better. I was looking for a carbureted intake manifold. Sorry for the confusion. I was just using the term "TBI" to describe the heads. I should have worded the question differently.

Thanks
Old 01-25-2011, 11:55 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

the only carburated intake manifold for the '87-'95 Swirl port TBI heads I know of is the Holley Street Dominator 300-64 Manifold. However, I would not buy a manifold for those heads. just modify a standard pre '87 manifold, like an Edlebrock performer, and then ditch those heads as soon as you can
Old 01-26-2011, 02:58 AM

Last photo:

Edelbrock makes the Performer manifold for the '87 - '95 heads. #2104 and #3706 (with EGR) are the part numbers.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:25 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972RedNeck
Sorry, I should have explained myself better. I was looking for a carbureted intake manifold. Sorry for the confusion. I was just using the term "TBI" to describe the heads. I should have worded the question differently.

Thanks
Depends on what you'll do for heads. The Swirl Ports are not a performance piece, they greatly restrict upper RPM capability. On the other hand they are really good on a low to moderate RPM grunt motor giving the bottom end a pretty healthy boost to torque output and are pretty good from a gas mileage stand point in the sub 4000 RPM range. A 383 will hit their flow limits pretty soon as they top out on a 350 under 5000 RPMs so the additional 33 cubes will cause that to happen sooner.

There's lots of head choices out there, the original GM Vortec is really popular but there are a lot of aftermarket heads as well that provide equivalent to superior performance. To avoid having to go back and redo the configuration, you should really do the heads first if you haven't already.

As manifolds go the Performer RPM is one of the better solutions in my opinion, it offers solid upper RPM gains without trading that for high losses on the bottom end, this is hard to find, intakes usually provide bottom end torque or top end horsepower not both.

The Swirl Ports can be pocket ported and the vane removed. This is a lot of work, but is effective and has a following, it even used to have an active blog site years ago. But time is moving away from these engines and the glee club apparently has moved on to other things.

Bogie
Old 01-26-2011, 10:45 AM

summit

if you need a real manifold get an summit Stage 1 Intake Manifold it will last you much longer
Old 01-26-2011, 06:02 PM

I am building this motor to go in a 4X4 mud truck with a redline of about 3800. Would it be worth it to get newer vortec heads?

Thanks

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.