Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 1996-2000 vortec block build
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 12:20 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Last year I was on a budget and I found a 350 3/4 ton truck that my uncle had and I took the engine out. I had some heads that were alredy checked out fine by my machine shop that were off of a 305 or 307 95 c10 I think it was. I used those heads and had a cam that I bought for 50 bucks. All I know about the cam is that it has 383 lift. Also have a edelbrock performer intake. Well I built this engine and it got unbelievable power. I dont know if its cause the 305/307 heads put off high compression or what but I run the car (79 El Camino SS) on 87 pump gas. It sound mean and drives like a champ. One thing I would consider is your transmission and gears. I have a muncie 4 speed and 3.73 gears which thats where I get alot of power from. Im also usin a stock Q Jet carb. So I guess what Im getting at dont worry about 400 HP and just build a good reliable mean street motor using GOOD used parts like an assembled block find some good vortecs (L31) heads like you were saying you wanted, if you can and just buy a good cam. All those vortecs can handle stock is .425 Lift but still would be a hell of a motor.