1996-2000 vortec block build - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 09:27 AM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Lower gears will give the feeling of more power as the car will pop off the line better. I believe this is the point he's making and not dyno numbers power.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 10:05 AM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
transmissions and gear donot produce any horse power.
Quote:
Originally Posted by idontdrivericeieatit View Post
And sorry but if you think a 350 with 305 heads and a 383 lift cam which I didnt even know they made them that small makes unbelievable power then you dont know what real power is you would be lucky to make 200hp now the 400 is heavy and prob is costing him a few hp to rear wheels but motors not going make any more power no matter what gear or trans he has gear and trans just puts power to the road
Hey Pugsy.What up??.

I knew what he meant too.

We had a guy with a 350 Vortec Goodwrench crate in a 4,000 Astro van(yepper that's there wt stock) use that "383" cam with a mod'ed TBI and chip burn.Now not everything has to be over 500 in a lift to be a decent cruiser.Surprising mid curve and very good,no great,street manners.For some that would be a worth while venture.Because of the way the thing pulled in the mid section on a 4,000 van,I would think it is all of 300hp.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Gary View Post
Hey Pugsy.What up??.

I knew what he meant too.

We had a guy with a 350 Vortec Goodwrench crate in a 4,000 Astro van(yepper that's there wt stock) use that "383" cam with a mod'ed TBI and chip burn.Now not everything has to be over 500 in a lift to be a decent cruiser.Surprising mid curve and very good,no great,street manners.For some that would be a worth while venture.Because of the way the thing pulled in the mid section on a 4,000 van,I would think it is all of 300hp.
Yea that engine you speak of had vortec heads which are way better than the 305 heads on his motor plus other upgrades and you say a 383 cam he said a 383 lift cam doubt you mean same cam and hes talking bout high compression with the 305 heads and then says it runs on 87 one of them statements are wrong high compression and 87 octane gas dont go together and no everything does not have be 500 lift I dont run that small a lift im in 600 lift range but with that said I was just tring clear up a 350 with stock 305 heads and small cam does not make unbelievable power if he wants make that kind of power just find any 350 in a junkyard for few hundred bucks I thought whole deal was a budget 400 hp engine not something my grandma has in her car
Old 11-18-2012, 07:37 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

"383 lift" could mean lobe lift. I just love it when statements are made so clearly. No decimal points, no nothin'.

As far as "everybody I know says they (L31 Vortec heads) will support 480 lift stock"- do NOT count on it. There have been cases where they will allow 0.480" lift, but that's going to be w/o much if any leeway between the retainer and seal at max lift. There are easy and not so easy ways around this, but in stock form this is a total crap shoot. More on L31 Vortec heads here.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:15 PM

Yea thats why I say I dont know for sure I have no personal knowledge. Of vortec heads as I dont and havent ever used them I was just going by what people say me im a big fan of afr since my first set not going back now plus with the solid roller cams I like to run it would cost me to much to get a set of vortec where they would need to be

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.