Hot Rod Forum banner

1996 BMW 318is/328is, any feedback??

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  jordan2011 
#1 · (Edited)
1996 BMW 328is, any feedback??

I am think of buying a bmw, i found one, and it is a 1996 328is, if anyone had any info that they could give me about these cars, i would really also like to know how they perform. thanks.

#2 · (Edited)
The 318 is a 4-banger and the others are all inline 6s. All of them are incredibly engineered and fun to drive. The 318s are a little underpowered, but are often favored for autocross for their lighter weight and their competetive power in the higher revs.

Don't listen to those who complain about higher maintenance costs. If you do maintenance yourself I think you'll find its almost as cheap as a 75 chevy. Just don't buy your parts from a BMW dealer and you'll be fine.

BMW parts are kinda like a pyramid scheme. For instance, Bosch germany sells parts to bmw germany, who sells it to bmw usa, who sells it to their regional distribution centers, who sell it to dealers. Until it makes it to the parts counter it can literally cost 10-20 times what it would be if you just bought it directly from the internet. A good example was a coolant temperature sensor for my 325 that cost 78.50 at the dealer, but I bought it from Pelican Parts for 7.65.

You'll also find that mechanics will either not touch them or charge you more to fix them. Don't fall for it. Just pop the hood and you'll see that they're engineered for easy work. My 325 actually had a little divot in the framerail so you could take the AC compressor out without removing other accessories. The entire engine wiring harness routes through a big diagnostic plug up high beside the valve cover. Nice touches.

Trouble spots are few. Electronically they sometimes have little troubles, but typically they are easily solved things like taillight grounds and such. Manual shifters can get sloppy as the bushings wear. They can be upgraded and fixed, but it requires a few extra joints in your forearm to reach up above the tranny. Automatics are very reliable, but a bit uninspired. Manuals are either the Getrag 240 for the 4-banger and the Getrag 260 for the 6s up through about 96, then I think they went with a ZF box. Both are excellent and reliable. Every once in a while you'll find one with a whine that can be attributed to the input shaft bearing, but its not a problem, just that some whine and others don't.

Do it. Excellent metallurgy, great suspensions, excellent ergonomics, great resale value. There is a reason they were always top picks from most magazines.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.