1996 chevrolet z71 4x4 5.7 & 4L60e problems - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2008, 08:18 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

1996 chevrolet z71 4x4 5.7 & 4L60e problems

i have a 1996 chevrolet z71 4x4 5.7 engine and a 4l60e trans i bought the truck without a trans in it the first owner broke the housing and took it out i put a junk yard tranny in it and it slipped pretty bad going into 2nd gear and down shifting after a whyle it quit shifting at all so i had it rebuilt and i put it back in and it done it again so i thought the tranny was messed up so i cut my losses and bought another from a company and put it in and its doing the same thing again the only thing diffrent is that my gear selector on my dash is acting stupid as well please help me i havent gotten to drive the truck more than 1000 miles sinse i bought it 2 years ago

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2008, 09:25 PM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

I am no technician but i thinks you gots puter problems.

So maybe this will bump you up to a answer by someone who knows.

Welcome to HOTRODDERS.com

R

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums
Old 09-26-2008, 11:01 PM
If It Feels Good DO IT

Last photo:

dude trust me break down and go get you a 700r4 and a aftermarket speedo cuz your speedo is electronic its one of the plugins on the tranny but i know this cuz i have a 96 s10 and those crapppy 4L60E's go out CONSTANTLY i've had my truck since 04 and myself have gone to 6 and thats babying the damn thing now i got a 305 in it and gonna get a 700r4 cuz im tired of those crap trannys even my brother who had the truck before me went through 3 and he only had it from 01 to 04 but he drove it like he stole it burning out every where and crap but thats just my advice you will do what you want to with it were all just here for our input
Old 09-26-2008, 11:30 PM
406 Caprice:Rust Never Sleeps!

Quote:
i put a junk yard tranny in it
Quote:
i had it rebuilt and i put it back in and it done it again
Quote:
bought another from a company and put it in and its doing the same thing again
Questions; #1.)In all of these installations did you flush the trans.cooler lines and converter to rid the system of any possible debris, to avoid possible cross-contamination of replacement tranny and hydraulic system?
#2.) Did you use same converter in all installations, and also same TV cable and linkage?
#3.) What procedure did you follow to adjust/set the TV cable to ensure correct line pressures in tranny?
These are some of the more probable/possible causes of multiple and/or repeated failures, just to name a few. All very basic, but easy to overlook if one is not aware to be on the lookout for them.
Sorry to hear you've had such bad luck , but hope you can find your answers and much good guidance on this forum. -Jim
Old 09-27-2008, 11:27 AM

i flushed the cooler lines and even cut the lines off the radiator and added a after market cooler i orderd a new tourque converter with the tranny i just got and i dont know what a tv cable is every thing going to the trans is 2 linkages one to the tranny and one for the transfer case and 7 electrical plugs
Old 09-27-2008, 11:35 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

broke chevy guy,

your trans does not have a TV cable since it is 4L60E , that was a mispost by another member.

You need to scan this trucks computer.

I would install a stand alone controller - test box that can operate this 4L60E with out the truck's computer... this would indicate IF the trans is in good condition.

Then........ when you hook the truck's systems to the trans and the trans acts wrong you know where the problem is.

The PRND321 switch must operate correctly since that feeds information to the truck's systems. I would fix that problem

Old 09-27-2008, 12:14 PM
406 Caprice:Rust Never Sleeps!

Quote:
your trans does not have a TV cable since it is 4L60E , that was a mispost by another member.
Yes, it surely was... my bad. I saw and instantly realized this morning when I saw reply (in my regular e-mail) that his was "E" trans. Sorry to create confusion. Guess I had a brain fart, probably I was getting sleepy by then. Sure seems that something is amiss to have such reccurence of failures on different units. And being electronically-controlled certainly does point towards computer giving bad info to trans., thus putting it into "self-destruct mode". Anyways, Crosley's got the plan, and his advice is usually GOLDEN. - Jim.
Old 09-27-2008, 02:51 PM
3rdmember

Last photo:

look REAL close at the electrical plugs for the neutral switch.
if they're melted, get new.
common problem...
it'll be just like cros said, the puter won't know what gear it's in....
check codes, fix problems, then blame trans...
Old 10-02-2008, 08:17 AM

Hi Chevy Man,
It is common for these truck to loose ignition feed to the trans. This causes second gear starts and no shifts and it will smoke a trans quick if you drive it very far.It will also cause strange indicator light problems or sometimes loss of the light totally. Put in a good trans and a new ignition switch and it will work fine. Randy
Old 10-02-2008, 12:48 PM

Last photo:

PureHotRods is correct. I had a SS454 Pickup with a 4L80E, after a scan at a trans shop it gave brake light switch & TCC solenoid codes etc.. It was dropping lockup & gears intermittently. Of course it turned out to be the ignition switch. They seem to be a problem on several trucks, Hummers & some cars too. Worth a check before digging in to the trans.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.