Hot Rod Forum banner

1996 Chevy 1500 Truck 4.3 V-6

6K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  lanierledford 
#1 ·
OK, what I have is an issue starting my truck. A day ago, my wife drove home, killed the engine, The very next morning, the engine would not start. And I mean, when turning on the igniiton, the standard things happen, the fuel sends gas, but pressing to start made a pop noise, But nothing else. I have replaced the Starter after having it tested ( Autozone said, bad bendix). Replaced the main wire going to the Starter, after testing the original one, which had a break in it. After doing this the truck did the same, but different. Meaning, at first try the truck did not start, At this point, I was beat. But I tried a few more times to start it, And it cranked, And ran normal. I drove it on the highway at 70mph, and after going back home I killed it, and yes again, after trying to start the truck a few times, it starts. This keeps happening, I can press to start the truck, and it will not do anything, the starter does not engage what so ever. But it does start after a few times. But it takes quite a few tries.

The starter has Two connections, The main BIG wire from the battery, and a second one that is Much smaller.

I have zero clue where the smaller wire goes to from the starter. If anyone can provide me with clues, I can trace it and test it to see if it perhaps needs to be replaced.

I know many of you are top Notch mechanics, and I have had Plenty of help on this web site, it is awesome. I know how to do many things, but I never had the opportunity to work on an engine with this issue.

But I did everything right,

Removed the Positive connection on the battery before removing the original Starter, and did not re-connect it until the new Starter was installed and all connections done.

So I did not cause any uneeded sparks or anything, I have been trained by one of the Best Mechanics, My Dad, who is a Vietnamese.

Thanks for all the help from any Mechanic who can give me something else to try.

Juicer
:(

See less See more
#2 ·
I would assume the second wire is the s terminal wire, it goes to the ignition switch.

I am having a little trouble following your description, please elaborate...is the starter working, I see where you say it is not engaging at all.

Yet you mention popping when cranking?

Try to be a little more specific and we will try to help.

#3 ·
The starter, Yes is working. At the moment with the new starter, there is no more such popping, at all. When trying to start the truck, there is No noise at all. Once I try to start a few times, it cranks. And runs fine, the starter works fine, at this time. But when it does not start, there is nothing happening at all. As if I am not trying to start it at all.

Now the first time the popping noise was there, was with the original starter before I removed it. I saw no burned spots nowhere near the starter. I have a test light, and a meter I can use them to test voltage, or with the test light for power. I know the main light has power all the time, but the other wire, when should it have power? Only when in RUN mode?

I hope I have provided more info, If not please let me know.

Juicer

#4 ·
I was/am expierencing a similar problem on a 97 chevy cavalier, turns out there is a recall on it that was never sent, so you could call the local chevy dealership. Also check and make sure your connections on the starter are tight. Did you replace the starter solenoid at the same time?

#5 ·
My truck is a Standard shift also. I have tested the Starter connections and the main wire shows full 12 Plus volts. The ignition wire is not showing anything. I had my wife turn the ignition on and off while I was under the truck putting my test light on the smaller wire, The light never did come on while she turned the ignition on and off, all while pressing the clutch pedal. Only one time when I did not have my test light on, the starter engaged. this time she heard me under the truck and backed off of the starter. At this moment the truck would have started. It keeps doing this, after many trys the truck starts. I am not completely sure what it is yet. I am perhaps thinking it may be the Clutch switch, which is located on the clutch pedal rod.

If anyone has more info please let me know.

Also I am thinking possibly the Ignition switch, which cost about $150.00 WOW.. or the ignition itself, which is $20 something. Gosh I hope to get this one resolved. Last night when it started, I drove the truck a few miles then back home, it ran fine, until I killed it.. then it would not start right away. Of course, after I kept trying, it started again. Go Figure..

I hope I'm going in the right direction.

Juice

Oldschoolrods, I did replaced the Starter and the solenoid at the same time..

#6 ·
it almost sounds like you simply have an adjustment problem.i have a full size van and 406 that i have incredible trouble with.the bendix goes out to the flex plate and when its misaligned it simply hangs up on the flexplate teeth.while you are tying to start it ,it will break loose(popping sound) and return to starter then as you are trying to start it it flys out to flex plate again and maybe starts.at the point when it won't do anything if you get under it and look i'll bet you find the bendix hung up on flex plate.loosen bolts and adjust with washers or shims.may have to **** it to one side by putting a washer on one bolt only.or disconnect starter hot wire and pull bendix out by hand and use a paper clip to gap the teeth of bendix and flex plate,tighten bolts and try it.

#7 ·

If you turn the ing. on, and don't have fire to the coil or to the starter when you turn to start, the switch is bad or a bad connection. I'd try a wire from the s ( small ) terminal on the starter to the battery pos. and see if it turns the engine. if it works every time, then its got be bad wiring, safety switch on the clutch, or ing. switch. if the starter spins, but don't engage the flywheel, i'd guess the sol. the popin, like backfire or banging like hitting something. did you say it stopped after changing the starter. I had such bad luck changing starter and shimming them, I now have them rebuilt, and replace them with the shims that came out. lol

#8 ·
Found the issue. I have an alarm in the truck, in which, it has a kill switch installed. That darn thing is shorting out. Currently the shop who installed the alarm is fixing it. I was stumped on this one big time. But after checking the ignition, which was all fine, I then went further, and the juice did not go past that alarm setup. So now I know, I will Never install an alarm with that kind of setup. Go figure, it supposed to stop the truck from being stolen, and it prevented me from being able to start the darn thing.

Thanks for all of the tips.

Lanierledfoot, I did run that s post to the battery pos, and man that motor turned quick. The starter is working fine. I was worried about changing that starter, I had similar bad luck in the past with shims issues after trying to replace a starter.

But this one appers to be installed and working good.

Juice,

#9 ·
Happy days

The only thing greater is a well mannered child.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.