1996 Cummings Diesel - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2007, 10:57 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

1996 Cummings Diesel

What is the best why to increase the HP. Is the chip the only was. I have heard it decreases the life of the engine.
I use the truck to pull a 40' Toy Hauler and could use more HP.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2007, 01:56 PM
Blowin' it

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Running again...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Jim, there are multiple things you can do to increase the hp of your Cummins diesel. Chips/Programmers do not decrease the life of the engine themselves, it all depends on how much you abuse it. I have a programmer in mine and it makes a world of difference, I do not tow with mine loaded any higher than the tow setting, the EGT's (Exhaust Gas Temperatures) get way too high - that's one of the key points.

For your model Cummins, a low hp chip set for towing will work wonders, without harming your engine. Just look at the numerous companies out there and do some research. All you will need is a tow/torque increase, say 70 hp increase.

Injectors are available for yours also from low hp gains to ones set for racing. Get an air intake system and free flow the exhaust and you will see/feel a difference as well. The plus side to the free flowing exhaust is that the EGT's will be lower when the engine is under a load.

Do not be afraid to chip it, the biggest thing it does is increase fuel pressure and advance the timing for the injection system. For instance, '05 Cummins/Auto - mine is set from 70hp to 150hp to 260hp, and torque increases up to 450 ftlbs. I have run mine on long trips at the highest setting, raced the thing, you name it, and it has not missed a lick. A chip would be the most cost effective increase you can get for your Cummins.

Jason
Old 04-22-2007, 03:29 PM
World Class ASE tech

Last photo:

You can't put a chip or a programmer in a 96. It does not have a computer. It has the old mechanical pump. Which is a good thing. Cummins made those engine up to 350 hp. Most can be done with just fuel and timing adjustments. The bad thing about the 96 is when you tune more fuel to it for more power it usually decreases fuel mileage. You also need to have a pyrometer (exhaust temp gauge) installed. More fuel in a diesel means more power and more cylinder heat. You can melt the pistons before the water temp gauge will even move. Also if you are towing more fuel means more sooty smoke to get all over that trailer. There are also stop plates to go in the pump to get even more fuel.

Locate an ADS Diesel shop in your area and take the truck there to have the aneroid set and the fuel turned up to it. The Aneroid is a device in the pump that does not turn the fuel on till the boost comes up. Adjust the aneroid will make the truck accelerate a lot quicker but more black smoke.

If you need some help call me. Ron at Acme Diesel 1-800-280-3350
also www.acmediesel.com
Old 04-22-2007, 03:52 PM
Blowin' it

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Running again...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Crud, when did the Cummins go to electronics? I assumed that it was early 90"s.

Jason
Old 04-22-2007, 04:00 PM

Cummins went electronic when they intro'ed the high-output 24 valve engine with common rail. They offered the common rail as an option for two years before making it standard. I think it became standard in 1998.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:51 PM
World Class ASE tech

Last photo:

Cummins went with the electronic control engine in mid 98 it was the 24 valve engine. They started using the common rail fuel system on the 24 valve in 2003.

http://www.centralmotivepower.com/
Is in your town and they are Bosch factory service center. They can fix you up.

Last edited by RPM; 04-22-2007 at 05:58 PM.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:53 PM

My mistake.
Old 04-22-2007, 08:11 PM
DriveItLikeItsSupostToBeD riven

Last photo:

Check out this site. www.dieselram.com great site they have helped me out a bunch of times. lots of knowledgeable guys when it comes to diesel.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:14 PM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: 1999-2001: Getting it on the road
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

Technically, 1998.5. The early 1998s were still mechanical.

Jim, even if you decrease the life of that engine by 10%, that means it will only last 360,000 miles instead of 400,000.

I've personally witnessed a 12v cummins make 2131 lb-ft of torque and over 1000 hp to the WHEELS on a daily driven truck. http://www.dieselperformancemotorspo...&g2_itemId=368

When you're towing, EGTs will be your killer. If they're not kept in check you'll melt pistons and otherwise cook the turbo real fast. Just remember that for all the mods you do on the intake/engine/fuel side, make sure you open up the exhaust. With diesels, you can't go too big with exhaust, so don't be afraid to spend good money on a big, good-flowing exhaust first along with a pyrometer to keep an eye on EGT. That alone might get you 50 hp. Now, feel free to add fuel/boost. You should be able to get more power than you could ever need before you hit an EGT problem.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:15 AM
World Class ASE tech

Last photo:

In most cases the Cummins motors will out last the Dodge body. I have seen a lot of Cummins engine with over half a million miles on them.

Here is a dyno run with some big numbers...

http://www.relentlessdiesel.com/medi...C%201132HP.wmv

Last edited by RPM; 04-23-2007 at 07:32 AM.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.