1996 Ford Taurus Transmission Problem - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2011, 07:16 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

1996 Ford Taurus Transmission Problem

I have a 1996 Ford Taurus GL, w/ a 3.0 litre engine. Recently while going a short distance, the transmission stopped pulling. It will not move in any gear, forward or reverse now. Engine starts fine, revs high initially upon starting now. Before this happened I noticed a pink shaded liquid on garage floor - wasn't exactly oil but maybe tinged with some- it was mostly water. Lastly, I recently replaced the Cv axle on the passenger side. I dont believe this is associated but thought it could be helpful as a reference point.

Any suggestion as to the source of this problem would be helpful to me.

Thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2011, 06:11 AM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim0215
I have a 1996 Ford Taurus GL, w/ a 3.0 litre engine. Recently while going a short distance, the transmission stopped pulling. It will not move in any gear, forward or reverse now. Engine starts fine, revs high initially upon starting now. Before this happened I noticed a pink shaded liquid on garage floor - wasn't exactly oil but maybe tinged with some- it was mostly water. Lastly, I recently replaced the Cv axle on the passenger side. I dont believe this is associated but thought it could be helpful as a reference point.

Any suggestion as to the source of this problem would be helpful to me.

Thanks.
either the converter splines in the converter have stripped out or you have internal failure.
id also be looking for intrusion since you say you saw some pinkish fluid on the floor. trans fluid should be cherry red when in good condition.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:42 AM

Last journal entry: Some More Roll Cage Fabrication
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnsmith10
either the converter splines in the converter have stripped out or you have internal failure.
id also be looking for intrusion since you say you saw some pinkish fluid on the floor. trans fluid should be cherry red when in good condition.
^X2

Very common problem.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:58 PM

Last photo:

Have you checked the fluid level? AXOD, AXNS, and AX4N transmissions (Taurus) are notorious for stripping the pump shaft splines out of the converter, breaking the pump shafts and stripping the splines out of the pump rotor. They are also known for greanading the pumps. Any of these will cause a "no move" condition.

Frank
Old 11-24-2011, 08:53 AM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:

Ahhhh
Taurus/Windstar transmissions
Been there done that----sent it out for repair, and now 2 years later---acting up again.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.