Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

1996 Mercury Grand Marquis Heater Control Valve?

20K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  Coodeville 
#1 ·
The air is cold when the heater is turned on. Plenty of antifreeze in the system. A/C works fine. The car has the electronic HVAC system. So I went out and purchased a heater control valve for the car. Problem is that I can't find it in the vehicle. I know at one point they were eliminated but the parts book did list an application for mine. So does anyone know where this thing is located?

#5 ·
Coodeville said:
Great picture! This thing is really deep, huh?
That's what I'm thinking! I had a '95 Marquis for a long time, traded it in during the cash for clunkers deal. Never had occasion to work on the heater valve. Actually, nothing much went wrong w/it, period. Very reliable, ran decent considering it only had the 4.6 2V. Cushy ride, easy chair comfort. But BORING! :smash: Now, if it had a Mustang GT engine in it... :pimp:

#12 ·
I get the feeling that this thing is located under the intake manifold. Ford placed a heater hose underneath it that's real hard to see. This is probably one of the stupidest things I've ever seen in a car done by the factory. Where do they get theses guys from?

#13 ·
I just looked at autozones web site and the thing is practically under the manifold. But the installation instructions they give make it appear that u can change it without taking the manifold off. i'm going to take a good look at all of this when the sun is up. thanks for all the help guys!

#14 ·
Did this work for you?

Hi Coodeville,

I'm having the same issue with my 1995 Marquis. Did you get to replace the heater control valve? And if so, did it work out for you?

I'm hoping its not the unit on the dash side, the manual is calling it a heater and AC control assembly..

Thanks!
dstones

#15 ·
eloc431962 said:
Should look something like this. :thumbup:

Cole
:pimp:
That is not a valve, it is the ambient temp sensor for the HVAC auto system. There isnt a valve on this car. It has a blend door and probably has a stuck blend door motor/actuator.
If you open the glove box and pull it out, look over the top of the heater box towards the dash center, the actuator is there. With the key on and the temp turned to hot, beat on it or tap on it with a little hammer, try moving the temp knob when you are doing this then turn it to hot. Chances are you will get it moving again. LA Tech
Oh and there is nothing under the intake but the hose.If you ever replace it use a high quality high silicone hose and re use the constant tension clamp....yes that is what they are called.Gear drive clamps will allways need to be retightened after an install, constant tension is just what it says, constant tension.They are far better clamps, as the hose softens it just keeps tightening all by itself, no need to remove the intake to retighten :rolleyes:

#16 ·
latech said:
That is not a valve, it is the ambient temp sensor for the HVAC auto system. There isnt a valve on this car. It has a blend door and probably has a stuck blend door motor/actuator.
If you open the glove box and pull it out, look over the top of the heater box towards the dash center, the actuator is there. With the key on and the temp turned to hot, beat on it or tap on it with a little hammer, try moving the temp knob when you are doing this then turn it to hot. Chances are you will get it moving again. LA Tech
Oh and there is nothing under the intake but the hose.If you ever replace it use a high quality high silicone hose and re use the constant tension clamp....yes that is what they are called.Gear drive clamps will allways need to be retightened after an install, constant tension is just what it says, constant tension.They are far better clamps, as the hose softens it just keeps tightening all by itself, no need to remove the intake to retighten :rolleyes:

X2.

However, if the control motor is sticking, about 8 of 10 have a stripped gear inside of them. Replacement requires pulling the dash assembly back about a foot... PITA.... I did quite a few of these when I was with Ford. Common issue.

#17 ·
latech said:
I'm going to do this and see what happens. Thanks! Mine is still blowing cold.

#18 ·
dstones said:
Hi Coodeville,

I'm having the same issue with my 1995 Marquis. Did you get to replace the heater control valve? And if so, did it work out for you?

I'm hoping its not the unit on the dash side, the manual is calling it a heater and AC control assembly..

Thanks!
dstones
If the control unit goes bad it will only blow in defrost mode. That is just $.40 of o-rings and easy to fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.