Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 1996 S-10 V8 not working properly
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 09:23 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96s10v8 View Post
the funny thing is that the pic of what battery terminal not to use, is the one i have HAHA!! i guess i will do the right thing and get a better one. any ideas on which kind are the best to use? and i have some 0 gauge wire i can use to replace the thin stock wire that is on there.
There is at least one "replacement"-type battery terminal that is good: Accel p/n 1860 top post connector. They go from 1/0 (0 gauge) for $20/each plus S&H (or $30 from O'Reilly) to 4 gauge. But since they cost quite a bit, unless the cable(s) you have now (that have the not-so-good terminals) are good, heavy gauge, fine strand cables, I'd just as soon have you replace them w/high quality cables and be done w/it once and for all.

Another way to use the 0 gauge wire is to use eye terminals that are soldered and crimped on the cable, then attached to the battery terminal by a stud and nut.

A quick search shows there are other 0 gauge battery terminals, like shown: http://www.noco-usa.com/pdf/Noco-Cat...inals-Lugs.pdf. They take a hell of a crimper, though! They can be crimped using a two piece anvil-type crimper that you hit w/a big hammer, or by using a pneumatic or hydraulic crimper. Crimping can be combined w/soldering, but I wouldn't use solder only.

Last edited by cobalt327; 11-19-2012 at 09:47 PM.